Who's put a Vortex in their 2017 EXC? Please give feedback.

Hi,
I'm seriously thinking about putting a Vortex in my 2017 EXC 350. Has anyone done this yet, and what was your experience?
Interested in experience with the 450 and 500 also.
I really don't want to get fancy with tuning - just put it in and find a map that I want.
I will be removing the two screens in the exhaust outlet, and removing the reeds.
Thanks in advance,
Toby

Toby, I have one in a 17 500 exc. the vortex made the bike a lot more fun to ride. I put on a muffler off of a 17  450 SX-f and removed the reeds from air box.  The bike runs very well  it is does want to die after starting and idle after about 10-15 seconds when cold . I haven't adjust the idle because the vortex raises the idle as it warms up  

Dont know about the 350 results 

Edited by xrbrp

4 hours ago, xrbrp said:

Toby, I have one in a 17 500 exc. the vortex made the bike a lot more fun to ride. I put on a muffler off of a 17  450 SX-f and removed the reeds from air box.  The bike runs very well  it is does want to die after starting and idle after about 10-15 seconds when cold . I haven't adjust the idle because the vortex raises the idle as it warms up  

How about "flame outs"? My bike runs perfectly all the time, and I don't even know what a flame out is (meaning I never had one).

• Like 1

I did this over the weekend and the bike is running lean. I am still trying to figure out how and why. I have a 17 EXC 500 and removed the intake reed valve and screens on the exhaust can. I haven't de-smogged it yet so maybe that is why, but I am getting one pop after every rev in neutral and excessive popping when riding on deceleration. I think I will be able to sort it out but not magic right out of the box like most have said so far. The biggest problem I see is the lack of local support. If you want a simple question answered you have to go through a lot to get it, or so it seems.  I know I gave you the same answer on KTM Talk but I wanted people here to see this as well.  Maybe I can get some advise as well.

2 minutes ago, Silverbird said:

I did this over the weekend and the bike is running lean. I am still trying to figure out how and why. I have a 17 EXC 500 and removed the intake reed valve and screens on the exhaust can. I haven't de-smogged it yet so maybe that is why, but I am getting one pop after every rev in neutral and excessive popping when riding on deceleration. I think I will be able to sort it out but not magic right out of the box like most have said so far. The biggest problem I see is the lack of local support. If you want a simple question answered you have to go through a lot to get it, or so it seems.  I know I gave you the same answer on KTM Talk but I wanted people here to see this as well.  Maybe I can get some advise as well.

Just remove your smog junk. The 17's run flawless without the smog stuff and a Vortex. 

The dealer you bought it from should be able to answer questions. However it comes with a sheet that tells you enough. 

I run mine on the number 1 setting and will likely leave the fuel settings the way they came from Vortex.  

• Like 1

If you have changed the ECU, pulled reeds and removed screens, you need to block the SAS hose, or remove it completely and replace it with a belmetric plug

https://www.belmetric.com/12mm-metric-drain-plugs-c-11_90_870/dp12x15ahss-stainless-metric-drain-plug-p-6073.html

Didn't matter if my air injector was connected or not, bike ran great with these 3 mods- but the exhaust hole has to be plugged or stopped at the SAS.

Edited by Burnrider
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, xrbrp said:

How about "flame outs"? My bike runs perfectly all the time, and I don't even know what a flame out is (meaning I never had one).

Silverbird, I'll be interested in the outcome if you plug your SAS. I think that is probably the problem. Please give an update if you do.

Thanks,

Toby

Zero flame outs after the vortex.  I did not have them before removing the reeds out of the air box with a euro flashed ecu.  I did experience them after I took the reeds out of the air box with a euro flashed ecu and prior to the vortex. 

The only time I've had the bike die is when cold starting or I've crashed. 

Edited by xrbrp

9 minutes ago, Toby_S said:

Is a TPS adjust needed when you run Vortex? I would think the Vortex would handle that.

Nope, that ecu has a different configuration set up, it just requires a working tps with a reasonable range of voltage change from closed to full throttle, it doesn't care the exact voltage, it just needs the intial low and high voltage on configuration set up.

only if your not getting a full tps voltage range, then you may have issue

Edited by Spud786

11 minutes ago, Toby_S said:

Is a TPS adjust needed when you run Vortex? I would think the Vortex would handle that.

Vortex staff stated to return the tps setting to stock or as close as reasonable possible before installing their ECU. 

So, No, a TPS adjust isn't needed. 

Silverbird, I'll be interested in the outcome if you plug your SAS. I think that is probably the problem. Please give an update if you do.

Thanks,

Toby

• Like 1

12 hours ago, xrbrp said:

Vortex staff stated to return the tps setting to stock or as close as reasonable possible before installing their ECU. 

So, No, a TPS adjust isn't needed. 

Got it. That makes sense. I do have a TPS tool and a Fluke, so I can check. Thanks.

2017 fe 450 , desmoged , bdsb power cap, and tps set at .67 no flame outs , smooth idle , great throttle response . Big improvement over stock ,stock ecu

stock I had flame outs at low Rpms,  and slight hestitation going to wot.

very curiose about how much better the vortex tune is.

15 hours ago, Dirtdevil427 said:

2017 fe 450 , desmoged , bdsb power cap, and tps set at .67 no flame outs , smooth idle , great throttle response . Big improvement over stock ,stock ecu

stock I had flame outs at low Rpms,  and slight hestitation going to wot.

very curiose about how much better the vortex tune is.

If you are happy why not leave it alone. No sense keeping up with the Jones'.  several posts on this site where people state it is a notable improvement.  I'd buy mine again in a heart beat and I have a EURO flashed ECU.  

10 hours ago, JorgeL said:

Along the lines of feedback, does the Vortex kick the radiator fan on?    I thought I read somewhere that it didn't work on the bigger bikes.

As stevethe said, the fan does work on the 500 (and my 501).  However it doesn't on the 450 as they were simply selling the SXF map for the EXC.  Vortex is supposed to come out with a 450 EXC unit late this year that operates the fan normally.

You may want to call Blais or Slavens and confirm the Vortex for the 350EXC operates the fan normally before ordering.