1975 Suzuki RV125 worth?

I'm sure some of you have seen my post about my bikes runaway idle, but I've always been curious about this bike.

I grew up in rural Green Bay, WI to a very blue collar family.  My pa started me off on a 1970 honda mini trail 50 at 6 years old in 1990.  I was a gear head from the get go and started like most of us did, holding the light so dad could work on his truck (hold the light so I can see!!!....).  Anyway, I then got a 78 Honda 50 after the 70 died.  Put a million miles on that bike until my dad found a barn find mint 1975 RV 125 for $300 in 1995.  At first I wasn't so excited because of the, welll, "unique" look of the bike.  Especially when my buddies had newer 100's and 125's that actually looked like dirt bikes.  But thats what I got and I was happy with it.  Sometime around 1997 we had a friend do a top end freshen up to it.  Bike always ran like a top, and even though Pa told me to never put it in high range, I never listened and the minute I was out of view, into high range it went. haha.

Once I got older, the bike sat alot.  Finally my Dad decided to make it road legal so he could ride with my mom on her moped (that was a sight to see...).  The bike is still all original, in great cosmetic shape considering it's age and still runs great (except for that runaway idle I mentioned).  Only missing parts are the battery cover and the on-board airpump.  Lost the air pump as some point off-roading.  Must have fallen off and I didn't notice it.

Anyway, its a nice unique bike and I have never ever seen one like it in person.  In low range top end is like 30-35 and geared so low you could plow a farm field with it.  High range you can maybe squeek out 55, but the poor thing is just howling and the vibration from the RPM's make the needles dance.  Since I recently got my boy a CRF50 I have the itch to pull the old girl out and go riding with him, which he thinks is awesome.  He just turned 4, thinks dirtbiking is awesome and is still young enough to think Dad is cool - so we're really enjoying it. 

That being said, I've been told these bikes are actually worth a decent chunk of cash, but noone has ever offered me anything for it.  Is it more of a cult following or just a matter of they are rare because they were unpopular when new?  (Makes me think of the Kawasaki Z1-R back in the 70s...complete sales flop, but now command top dollar due to their rarity).  I'll be sure to snap an actual photo next time I go to my folks house, but the one below looks EXACTLY like mine looks, minus the battery cover and the stock blinkers.

001.jpg

Edited by apbling

Keep it and ride the wheels off it.  It may appreciate in value but don't bet the farm on it.  I have no idea what they are worth.  There oughta be a law against selling your motorcycles because we all would give our left nut to still own every one we ever had.

I don't have any intentions of selling it - but of course if someone offers me 10k it'd be tempting, but then I'd wonder if its actually worth 20k! 

I was just curious if they were worth anything due to its lack of popularity.  It's definitely a conversation piece.  I'm not going to say its a "real head turner" like all the CL ad that list their HD bagger (when they all look the same...) or a home made bobber (those head turns don't mean "hey thats cool!" more like "WTH did he do to that poor bike").  But we do get ppl saying "how, I've never seen a bike like that...whys it so ugly?" haha.