Front Fork Bushings

Decided to put a new seal kit on the front forks, everything went pretty smooth except for the rubber cone bumper under the cap just crumbled on both forks. Is there an alternative to oem ones? Any one made there own? Cheapest oem I can find is $12 a piece , that seems ridiculous and more than a fork seal kit. Thanks for any ideas.

99 yz125/144

Edited by ThumpinAway

1999 to 2017 = 18 years

OEM lasts that long, than OEM would be the best way to go.

Fork oil should be changed once a season if bike is used quite a bit. Less, if used less. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

It's a project bike that I've been working on here and there, haven't ridden it yet. Bought it blown up. Thanks for info, just $25 for two little rubber bushings seem crazy when that cost more than the fork seals/dust. 

3 hours ago, numroe said:

You could ride without them. Save you that $25.

Really? What exactly are those bushings for? If It's not a big deal that would an option

1 hour ago, ThumpinAway said:

Really? What exactly are those bushings for? If It's not a big deal that would an option

I'm not sure, because the open chamber forks I've worked on don't have any rubber stopper/spacer up near the cap. I guess they were added to prevent spring rattling. Maybe for bottoming but I don't see how that would work on full compression.  So I suggested you try it, if you think $12 each it too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, numroe said:

I'm not sure, because the open chamber forks I've worked on don't have any rubber stopper/spacer up near the cap. I guess they were added to prevent spring rattling. Maybe for bottoming but I don't see how that would work on full compression.  So I suggested you try it, if you think $12 each it too much.

Exactly.

I believe the rubber bumpers work as the bottoming system on those forks instead of the hydraulic bottoming system on other forks.

if you don't put new ones in then harsh bottoming will occur and your wrists will hate you!