starting my 05

Call me a wuss all you want but I am new to a kick starting but I can not start my 250 without push starting it. It push starts just fine, fires right up every time after I cleaned the carb. I can get it with the hot start every once in a while but not often. I feel stupid asking but I would like to be able to kick start it. It has a freshly cleaned carb and new plug.

Well it has a aftermarket fuel screw and I turned it out 1-1/4 turns. I have been reading on here where some people turn it out 2-1/2 turns. I was always told 1-1/4 is a good start. when you say the idle speed screw, you mean the screw to adjust the idle? I am going to try and take the slack out of the accelarator pump screw too and see if it helps. I have always had a electric start so it didnt matter then.

Start with fuel screw at 2 1/2 out from bottomed. Go out or in from there. If you get out past 3 1/4 turns, then either the pilot jet is clogged or a larger jet size is needled based on the conditions. Fwi, we use size 42 and 45 here.
Yes the idle screw is for idle speed. You will need to turn it up a little when starting cold. Then turn it down a little after the bike is warmed.

Ok so I have tried to adjust it from 1 turn to 2-1/2 and all the way in the bike wants to shut off so thats telling me that its not running too rich and anything past 2 turns and I cant even push start it. But I tried with every 1/4 turn to kick start it with choke, without choke, hot start and throttle, hot start alone, and just throttle alone and I can not get this sob to kick start.

NO throttle.  If you are giving any throttle or pumping the throttle ... you are giving it squirts from the accelerator pump.  If you do so ... you will be flooding it.

To start this four stroke.  EITHER, choke button pulled out and kick OR hot start pulled and kick. Set you idle speed screw to a higher idle.  Kick.  NO throttle.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tore it down today and I checked the valves seats. They are leaking and I had a exhaust cam cap bolt was stripped out. The head bolts under the came where both loose. It did have a blown head gasket due to this. And I did notice it has a high compression piston in it and the second oil ring was bent on the end. The rebuild begins. Machine shop bound tomorrow.20170910_215847.jpg

On Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 11:51 PM, Scottwr12345 said:

New bike old bike??? 4 stroke 2 stroke?? If its a used 4 banger i put money on ya valves are in need of a shim.

A four banger is a four piston motor. Four explosions makes four bangs.

A thumper is far from a four banger. It goes, down, up, bang, down, up. One bang every four strokes.

Get your ish right youngen

7 hours ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

A four banger is a four piston motor. Four explosions makes four bangs.

A thumper is far from a four banger. It goes, down, up, bang, down, up. One bang every four strokes.

Get your ish right youngen

Not in aus my ancient friend :D 2 banga 4 banga no one gives a turd about a 4 piston engine lol...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got it rebuilt all back together and I still can't kick start it. It has new valves and seats and shims , rings and cross hatched by the machinist. I haven't tried to pop start it yet to see if it will run. I have a water leak to take care of first. The o ring at the water neck is cracked up. Does anyone know what size o ring it is or a part number?