Big and tall options. Best bikes out there

Bought my 13 year old a KLX 140L a month or so ago and he is really enjoying it. I've had a great time taking him out and watching him but figure it's time to get me another bike. Here are a few of the bikes I've owned in the past.

04 CRF450R

04 KTM 525EXC

08 KTM 530EXC-R

It's been probably 7-8 years since I've owned a dirt bike and I've gotten fat. Right now I'm 6'5 and 250lbs. I'm not a track rider at all just like to ride trails. I'm not into super technical riding because I really suck at it. I'm not a super aggressive rider just want a fun reliable bike. Probably would like to spend under $6k. I've seen a lot of used bikes in that price range so what's the best bike for me to consider in that price range? Here are the ones I really like but would like to know if any of these had inherent problems.

08-13 KTM 300XC or XC-W I hear nothing but good about these bikes. Seems they are very luggable and amazing power from low to high. Not sure how it would be to make it big boy friendly. Haven't ridden a 2 stroke since my 89 CR250R. But that bike was not luggable and didn't feel the power until your in the power band. I hear the 300 is different type of power.

09-13 KX 450R I like these for the FI. Not sure how they were in 09 since that was the first year of Fuel Injection on the KX 450 but maybe they had issues. This is what I want to know. Is the 08 last year of the carb a better bet or is the FI good enough? I know the 450 has plenty of power so no issue there just not familiar with any issues from year to year.

I'd love to hear from any of you with experience on either of these 2 bikes. Also if you think I'm overlooking a good candidate. I'm all ears at this point. I know everyone always says you need to ride them all to know but for some of us that's not an option.

Any help or opinions appreciated.

I'm 6.2 and in the 230's I own a 2008 kx250f with a 270cc big bore kit and it has plenty of power for me I've had it in the 80s before and it was still pulling its hot tons of torque one little throttle blip and the front wheel comes up I think that would be a great choice

• Like 1

Unless you plan on riding on a track I'd avoid MX bikes and get an enduro bike.  In the two strokes I'd look for a 250 or 300 XC-W.  In 4 strokes there are a ton of good options like the Yamaha WR250F, WR450F, YZ250FX, YZ450FX,  KTM 250/350/450 XCF-W, EXC or XC-F, Husky FE, FX, TE and TX, etc.  and that's not even getting into the boutique bikes like Betas and Shercos.

I currently have a fuel inject 4 stroke (KTM 350 XCF-W).  It's a great bike for the woods.  It's smooth, linear, great fuel economy, e-start, hydro clutch, wide ratio 6 speed with a low first fear, radiator fan to keep it cool in the slow stuff, etc.. But I really want a 300 XC-W  (or Husky TE 300) too.

Doc

Thanks for the advise. I'm currently looking at a 2011 KX450 with Rekluse. The guy I know him and he said it's a great enduro bike and he only wants $3500. Maybe even less. If I could pick one up at that price then maybe I could
also pick up like a 2013 KTM 300 and my 19 year old can ride with me. Then I'd have a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke to choose from.

Bought me a 2013 KTM 250XC yesterday. Should be a great bike. Hopefully it won't end up being a money pit. That's the scary thing to me about buying used. The bike came with a ton of aftermarket stuff and some engine work done to it. I've only ridden it up and down the street but the thing is scary fast.

Also will most likely need to do some tall boy options. Tall seat etc.

• Like 1

I'm 6'2" 270 pounds. I was worried about "stressing" a motor out cuz I'm ridiculously heavy. I bought a RMZ450 (it was a crazy good deal couldn't pass it up) I already had $3000 down payment on a 2018 Husqvarna TX 300 but was taking too long to get to my store and I saw a good deal on the RMZ450 so I took it. I did put an oversized radiator on it and a 1.8 radiator cap. But I'm just a "putt putt listen to music while smoking a blunt taking in the scenery type rider" and have had no issues at all (so far 🤞🏿) really happy with it! For less than 1/3 of the price I'm definitely incredibly stoked with my RMZ450 for being a "really big guy"

Ps there is no such bike that is not a "money pit"! All I want to do is spend all my money on it! The wife is jealous haha