2010 exc400 reliability and maintnance

My Friend is going to buy a 2010 EXC400 and i am going with him to check the bike . 

are they reliable bike to buy as a second hand !? what should we check on these bikes !? 

what should be check on these bike , we heard this bike may consume some oil !? is it something normal with EXC bikes 2009-2010!? 

the owner said that he had 80hours on the piston and for EXC series they can go near 150hours before changing it .

22780578-c6ba-4403-8951-4d866b66c6b3.jpeg

Great bikes, mine was very reliable. Close to 300 hrs when I sold it. However, the dual oil system was funky, and the 600cc of engine oil always had to be watched closely.     

• Like 2

I always advise kick-starting a bike before buying it, even if it has electric start. Kick starting it can give you some idea of what kind of condition the engine is in and whether the valves are close to spec. It should be fairly easy to kick start once you find TDC.

Also look for rounded off nuts and bolts - you want to see some wear/evidence on the head bolts to confirm the piston was actually replaced, but if there are a bunch of rounded off bits then whoever worked on it probably didn't know what he was doing.

Check for oil leaks around the gaskets and sight glass.

Check the fork seals for leaks/dirt lines.

Check for smoke from the exhaust.

Look for warped brake rotors/worn brake pads.

Check sprockets for wear/hooking and check chain for kinks.

Check air filter, remove air filter and check inside air boot for dust/dirt. These bikes have quick release filters so this can be done in about 10 seconds. If there is any dirt in the intake, walk away.

A lot of this stuff is fairly easily fixed and not a huge deal on its own, but the idea here is that if you start noticing things like what I've listed are piling up, it's generally a pretty good sign that the bike has not been maintained well and could end up being a headache. You'll never be able to completely tear down a bike and assess its condition 100%, so you just want to get a general impression of how it was maintained and try to notice any glaring problems (like smoke, difficulty starting, dirt in the intake/air boot, etc.).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hershmagersh said:

I always advise kick-starting a bike before buying it, even if it has electric start. Kick starting it can give you some idea of what kind of condition the engine is in and whether the valves are close to spec. It should be fairly easy to kick start once you find TDC.

Also look for rounded off nuts and bolts - you want to see some wear/evidence on the head bolts to confirm the piston was actually replaced, but if there are a bunch of rounded off bits then whoever worked on it probably didn't know what he was doing.

Check for oil leaks around the gaskets and sight glass.

Check the fork seals for leaks/dirt lines.

Check for smoke from the exhaust.

Look for warped brake rotors/worn brake pads.

Check sprockets for wear/hooking and check chain for kinks.

Check air filter, remove air filter and check inside air boot for dust/dirt. These bikes have quick release filters so this can be done in about 10 seconds. If there is any dirt in the intake, walk away.

A lot of this stuff is fairly easily fixed and not a huge deal on its own, but the idea here is that if you start noticing things like what I've listed are piling up, it's generally a pretty good sign that the bike has not been maintained well and could end up being a headache. You'll never be able to completely tear down a bike and assess its condition 100%, so you just want to get a general impression of how it was maintained and try to notice any glaring problems (like smoke, difficulty starting, dirt in the intake/air boot, etc.).

Hi, thanks for the info you have shared here , we actually go and saw that bike ... it have a lot of fault from the engine shout down button (red button ) to all the other electronic on that bike . that bike seems nice but had 0 maintenance !!???? leaking oil from a tiny crac and .. .. ... we just run away from that deal .

i am supper annoyd with looking for a nice 2nd hand dirtbike .... its really hard to find a good one .

Good idea to run away from that one. It would have been a headache chasing all those problems down.

It can be really frustrating finding a good deal on a nice used bike, depending on where you live. I see that you're in Sweden, not sure what the used market is like there, but usually patience is key. If there is a solid community of riders in your area, a good deal will pop up before too long. Good luck!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hershmagersh said:

Good idea to run away from that one. It would have been a headache chasing all those problems down.

It can be really frustrating finding a good deal on a nice used bike, depending on where you live. I see that you're in Sweden, not sure what the used market is like there, but usually patience is key. If there is a solid community of riders in your area, a good deal will pop up before too long. Good luck!

sometimes you can find a very good used bikes here in sweden ... but recently what ever i test was a crap !!!??? blue smoke ... oil leak , bad maintenance and what ever that you can think . even a dude send a picture which was photoshopped to look beter  !? , i was just super mad when i saw the bike and the time i wasted on it ... !??? 

e1730d05-12ca-4308-8bfa-16233211a979.jpeg