VIN Swaping

So I purchased a 05 CRF450X a few months back, no title, just the original paperwork from the dealer. In Colorado, its getting harder to plate this kind of bike, a lot of hoops to jump through.

I have the opportunity to buy another 05 that is titled, is it a issue to swamp vin #s if I own both the bikes? The 1st bike I bought is in way better shape then the bike with the title, I know I could swap everything over, and I will if I have too. Just wanting some input

Thanks

In most states it is a felony to knowingly remove, obliterate, tamper with, or alter an identification number for a motor vehicle.

<< I know I could swap everything over, and I will if I have too.>>

Since the VIN is stamped into the frame, that's pretty much what your left with.

Jim.

I just plated 2007 x here in Colorado.  It was easy but there is a new (to me) step.  Go to state parks and get your OHV sticker/registration.  Takes a couple weeks to get hard registration card. Take it to DMV and Obtain OHV title.  Take a couple weeks to arrive.  Then install the stuff for DOT inspection.  Sonny is at the golden CSP office and she is nice and reads the stuff right off the checklist.  Got my appointment  3 days out  No speedo is needed FYI and of course no blinkers.  My stuff was minimal for sure, but I did do and electric horn.

pretty straight forward and nothing to fear.  here is the form....

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2686.pdf

Edited by pdrhound

you have to have your state parks sticker to ride in the national forest anyways.  i don't agree but it's what they are doing.  I think they did a service to us by offering the OHV title.  It has made it easy when you have no real title.  

Whatever you decide, be careful. A riding friend had his bike impounded last weekend for registration issues. $250 to get it back, and he can't ride it on public land. Huge resale value hit as well. Oh, and it wrecked his ride day.

I've found it easy to maintain valid registration after frame and engine swaps. Just follow the DMV procedures, and ask them in advance if what you're doing is OK. Get their name!

Good luck!

I went a head and bought a frame on ebay that had a clear title, same year 05.

Looks like I found a winter project to do

I still dont know why you don't just register as I showed above.  It is super easy.  2 hours work plus 2 hours to install of parts.  All done under 150 bucks for parts, registrations and other fees.

On 8/30/2017 at 9:37 AM, dlee said:

So I purchased a 05 CRF450X a few months back, no title, just the original paperwork from the dealer. In Colorado, its getting harder to plate this kind of bike, a lot of hoops to jump through.

I have the opportunity to buy another 05 that is titled, is it a issue to swamp vin #s if I own both the bikes? The 1st bike I bought is in way better shape then the bike with the title, I know I could swap everything over, and I will if I have too. Just wanting some input

Thanks

Its a crime.

I can get a standard vin verification for now, and get a Colorado title for this frame. If I want to plate it I would need to get a CSP inspection

Unfortunately I got some bad advice from someone, who basically told me if it says off road use only on the MSO, you couldn't license it, which is not the case

1 hour ago, dlee said:

Unfortunately I got some bad advice from someone, who basically told me if it says off road use only on the MSO, you couldn't license it, which is not the case

Think it depends on where you are.   Here in NY, that is the case.   If you go to the DMV with a MSO of "off-road use only", no street plate.  ATV plate only.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman

On 9/29/2017 at 8:56 AM, dlee said:

I can get a standard vin verification for now, and get a Colorado title for this frame. If I want to plate it I would need to get a CSP inspection

yeah the titles in CO. don't say that.  They are simply OHV titles.  no verbage as to restrictions. they just want your money.  it actually made it a little simpler for CSP to do your inspection.