Buyng a hare scramble bike Husky

Hello i am wanting to pick up a XC bike for running Hare scrambles in Illinois District 17. 

I have always rode trx 450r for trails and hare scrambles. I am looking at getting a bike to ride trails and eventually ride HS. When i get good enough i'm sure there will be a learning curve coming from a quad. I have only riden a couple dirt bikes but have owned and ridden several street bikes 600 f2 zx 600 954RR heritage classic and road glide.

So i am not sure what to get leaning towards a 450FX im sure its a lot of bike for me but will grow in to it. The problem is i am not sure what they guys run local for HS typical size. So if i could get some suggestions that would be great. I am not brand specific just have always like the look of the Husky and from reading seems to me the husky is at the top of there game right now. I am also not sure if i should buy used and try and find one wit some mods or if these bikes come ready to rock for the most part BN. I know with the 450r i built it and it wasnt cheap.  Thanks for your time

5'10  275lbs 40YO

riding experience started 

age 4 110 honda

age 7 175 Yamaha

10 200X

13 250R 3 wheeler

16 250R 4 wheeler

18 350 banshee & 600F2

21 Wave raider 1100 & Zrt 600 & 954RR

27 450R HS setup Ran WFO District 17 HD Heritage classic & Rev 800X

35 HD Road Glide AC F-8000

38 SD 300 RXTX & Yamaha FX SVHO

Edited by GasGrassOrASS

Well... a Husky would be starting with one of the best! Hard to go wrong with anything from KTM or Husky that is made for off-road or trail riding. Just stay away from getting a slightly cheaper "SX" model, as the gearing will be way wrong. I rode a 9 mile hare scramble loop on a KTM450SX once and it was miserable... mostly 1st and 2nd gear! Killed it 3 times and it was a beast to start. The KTM/Husky bikes for enduro riding come with nice plush (soft) suspension, the right gearing in the tranny, electric start (newer ones)... You'll enjoy yourself more on a bike set up for what you want to do. Don't buy a ready to go motocrosser for woods and trails.

You might try out a bike or two if you know some local riders... You know, see if you like a 250 or 450 4-stroke vs a 200, 250, or 300 2-stroke. Might be worth going to a local riding area and talking to some guys and maybe they'd let you try some out. Or maybe a local shop with used bikes? The 4-stroke bikes have a more linear power curve, although they say the 300 2-stroke will lug down low in the rpm's too.

If you want the BEST recommendation... the top riders mostly go for the 300cc 2-stroke KTM's, Husky's, etc. But poor people like me ride whatever they can get... In my case it's an old 2002 TTR250 air cooled e-start Yamaha I paid $800 for about 5 years ago. It's heavy but it is a killer woods bike... short wheelbase gets through the twisty trails good.

Good luck!

Edited by verticaltwin

25 minutes ago, verticaltwin said:

Well... a Husky would be starting with one of the best! Hard to go wrong with anything from KTM or Husky that is made for off-road or trial riding. Just stay away from getting a slightly cheaper "SX" model, as the gearing will be way wrong. I rode a 9 mile hare scramble loop on a KTM450sx once and it was miserable... mostly 1st and 2nd gear! Killed it 3 times and it was a beast to start. The KTM/Husky bikes for endure come with nice plush (soft) suspension, the right gearing in the tranny, electric start (newer ones)... You'll enjoy yourself more on a bike set up for what you want to do. Don't buy a ready to go motocrosser for woods and trails.

You might try out a bike or two if you know some local riders... You know, see if you like a 250 or 450 4-stroke vs a 200, 250, or 300 2-stroke. Might be worth going to a local riding area and talking to some guys and maybe they'd let you try some out. Or maybe a local shop with used bikes? The 4-stroke bikes have a more linear power curve, although they say the 300 2-stroke will lug down low in the rpm's too.

If you want the BEST recommendation... the top rider mostly go for the 300cc 2-stroke KTM's, Husky's, etc.

Good luck!

Thank you for the quick response. I am the type of guy that buys once and i like to buy the best. The difference in the 2 stroke and 4 stroke for me has been done for quit some time coming from the 450r 4 stroker hated it at first missed the power ban of the 2 stroke now i have come to love the 4 stroker but i do read a lot of guys run the 2 strokes still with DBs. I like the idea of going to a event and talking with the riders. I found a 2017 450fx OTD 8,800 that seems like a screaming deal. From what i am reading most of the major changes on the 450 were done in 2017 being the front fork. with 18 so far all see is new brakes

Edited by GasGrassOrASS

I'd recommend staying away from the 450 if you plan on racing D17. They are heavy and not so nimble. I'd be looking for a 250/350 4 stroke, or a 200/250 2 stroke. I'm on a Yz250fx this year and love it. More than enough power to lug my 225lbs around. 

• Like 1

I'd recommend staying away from the 450 if you plan on racing D17. They are heavy and not so nimble. I'd be looking for a 250/350 4 stroke, or a 200/250 2 stroke. I'm on a Yz250fx this year and love it. More than enough power to lug my 225lbs around. 

Thanks for the response. It's been awhile since I ran D17 and never on a bike. And all the events I went to were on Sunday's and bikes ran on Saturday's so I really never even saw what the guys were riding.

But I am close to making a deal on a 2017 TE 250 we are 300.00 apart but hopefully they will decide 300 isn't worth losing a sell. To me that's a set of fast flex bars

• Like 1