Brake pedal options - 16 250FX

12 hours ago, motocrotts said:

I'm saying I wouldn't ruin a yamaha by putting a ktm part on it, and obviously you haven't ridden a new beta.

Sent from my SM-G950U using ThumperTalk mobile app

I've ridden every new Beta available. I'm friends with the distributor for Canada who is based where I live. 

I spent two hours yesterday trying to dial in my friends 17 250 Race Edition that he just dropped $1500 on the suspension to get rid of the deflection. 

I live in Beta country, I know the bikes very well. The suspension has been getting better every year but it still needs work to perform as well as a stock KYB SSS set up. 

I'm not a big fan of the OC Sachs fork, even after dropping $1k on them they still are the glaring weakness on Beta machines. I don't think that's any secret. 

Back to brake pedals....

@mconnell there seem to be a decent selection of used OEM levers on eBay for sale. Might be a better option because they cost just slightly more than an aftermarket tip. 

http://m.ebay.com/itm/11-17-Yamaha-YZ250F-OEM-Rear-Brake-Pedal-YZ250-YZF250-YZ250FX-WR250F-/162660822837?epid=1317830493&hash=item25df572f35%3Ag%3AI6cAAOSw30tZruwX&_trkparms=pageci%3A9e2562c9-9301-11e7-986e-74dbd1a0723a%7Cparentrq%3A573ba9d215e0ac80363e9b2bfff0cdb2%7Ciid%3A16

I've ridden every new Beta available. I'm friends with the distributor for Canada who is based where I live. 

I spent two hours yesterday trying to dial in my friends 17 250 Race Edition that he just dropped $1500 on the suspension to get rid of the deflection. 

I live in Beta country, I know the bikes very well. The suspension has been getting better every year but it still needs work to perform as well as a stock KYB SSS set up. 

I'm not a big fan of the OC Sachs fork, even after dropping $1k on them they still are the glaring weakness on Beta machines. I don't think that's any secret. 

Thats cool, i have the 300 race edition and just got back from a month on Colorado roots and rocks. I'm not familiar with the oc fork but the cc fork is pretty darn good stock once you get about 20 hrs on them. Lower the stock oil level and crank in some rebound and deflection is not a problem. Good as sss? No, but not far off and certainly better than any standard wp product I've ridden.

Sent from my SM-G950U using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

On 9/4/2017 at 2:50 PM, ckny said:

KTM part 54603060150

OK.  So, I was digging through my stash of KTM parts and came across one of these shifter tips from an older KTM that I owned.  Pretty sure it was a 2001 200 EXC.  I think I decided the teeth were getting smooth on this tip and put another one on that bike.  So, I used a 1/4" drill bit to drill out the steel rivet in my stock 2016 YZ250FX brake pedal in order to remove the bent up brake pedal tip.  Then, I mounted this KTM tip onto the the Yamaha brake pedal and used a 6mm screw and a nylock nut.  Fit perfect.  A new tip like this can be purchased online from RM ATV for $7.79.

brake pedal.jpg

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Bricktop72 said:

Great fix! The nylock should hold that in place quite well. I am going to order a replacement tip for mine as well to keep in my toolbox. 

I'm going to get a new tip, too. But, in the meantime, I already bought a Hammerhead and installed it. Doh!

11 hours ago, mconnell said:

I'm going to get a new tip, too. But, in the meantime, I already bought a Hammerhead and installed it. Doh!

The hammerhead is a quality item, I bought one after I missed the tiny tip on my Beta twice.  There was a reason I was putting the brakes on.  Anyway, you'll like the hammerhead.

8 hours ago, motocrotts said:

The hammerhead is a quality item, I bought one after I missed the tiny tip on my Beta twice.  There was a reason I was putting the brakes on.  Anyway, you'll like the hammerhead.

I've only ridden with the Hammerhead brake pedal once since I installed it, but I do feel like it has a little bigger tip and has better grip than the stock pedal.  I often missed the stock pedal.  I'm heading to a cross country race tomorrow.  I'll have a better impression of it after Sunday.

Hammerhead.jpg

• Like 3