Goldentyre fatty Tube selection?

Just put on my first fatty front with a regular size tube. I can feel a small void between the tire and the tube. Any down side to this? If I run a fatty in the future should I get the bigger front tube? (If they make one). 

1 hour ago, LukeYZ426F said:

Just put on my first fatty front with a regular size tube. I can feel a small void between the tire and the tube. Any down side to this? If I run a fatty in the future should I get the bigger front tube? (If they make one). 

Have you been smoking fatties in the process?

• Like 4

It's a new tube, one of those thick "extreme duty tubes". I messed with it a couple hours later and it was normal. 

Basically the tube when first inflated did not fill the void of the new larger tire. It had like 1/4" of free play where you could press the tire down not making contact with the tube. I guess it was so thick it took a little while to stretch out.  

17 hours ago, LukeYZ426F said:

It's a new tube, one of those thick "extreme duty tubes". I messed with it a couple hours later and it was normal. 

Basically the tube when first inflated did not fill the void of the new larger tire. It had like 1/4" of free play where you could press the tire down not making contact with the tube. I guess it was so thick it took a little while to stretch out.  

Ya dude, I'm still having a hard time understanding how you could actually feel 1/4" of free play between the tire and tube when pressing down on the tire in the first place and IF you had a 21" tube in a 21 tire and the tire/tube were on the rim and the tube inflated correctly mounting.

I always use IRC Heavy tubes with a wide variety of tires front/back and part of installing a new tire/tube is filling the tube enough (say 50 PSI) so the tire bead sets on the rim then deflating the tube to the correct PSI etc etc.

So if I inflate any 21 tube in any 21 tire to 50 PSI, there is no way there is going to be any free play between the tire and tube.

Am I missing something?

Edited by filterx

I've installed 2 of these fatty tires and I totally don't get how this could even be possible.  A tube will simply expand into the given space. There is no way there could be unfilled space left over. 

• Like 2

There was no need to pump the tire up to 50 to get it to seat. Not sure what the but hurt is about,  I'm sorry this doesn't seem believable to y'all. 

Bizarre more than unbelievable, guess "we" had to be there.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LukeYZ426F said:

There was no need to pump the tire up to 50 to get it to seat. Not sure what the but hurt is about,  I'm sorry this doesn't seem believable to y'all. 

IMO to get a tire bead to set in a rim correctly you need to inflate the tube more than say 12PSI. I take mine to a gas station use their pump and fill until I hear the tire pop into the rim or at the very least and might take a couple of times of inflating/deflating repeating/bouncing the tire to get the outer bead edge even on both sides of the rim.

IMO this sounds like a "correct way to install a tire" topic and we are NOT BUT HURTING you but please explain to us EXACTLY how you can feel that the tube is not completely inflated inside the tire.

On the fronts I use grease to lube the bead so it's basically set without needing the additional pressure. Rear is a different story.  

gotta agree with filterx.  this makes zero sense how you could tell there was a gap between the inside of the tire and the tube.

you mean to tell us that you filled the tube to the point where it was hard enough for you to feel it through a tire, but yet not filled up enough to the point where it stretched and expanded to fill that air gap?!?!.. doesnt add up. 

On 31/08/2017 at 7:31 PM, LukeYZ426F said:

On the fronts I use grease to lube the bead so it's basically set without needing the additional pressure. Rear is a different story.  

Regardless of front/back and lube etc and this is JUST IMO, you need to inflate the tubes enough for the beads to set correctly and there is NO way this would happen with say 12PSI (which would be an average normal running PSI for a front).

Then really when I mount any tire, I have the tubes inflated enough (which fills the tire) so I don't pinch flat them when spooning the tires on the rim.

Your still not telling us how you can feel the 1/4" void ?????????????

I bet grease works great but I don't think it's the best lube to use for tire changes. It will never dry.

1 minute ago, MountAiryTrailRiders said:

I bet grease works great but I don't think it's the best lube to use for tire changes. It will never dry.

+1. Dish soap is the ticket... 

• Like 3

gets me is how 90/100 tires have been out forever, then GT calls it a fatty and now it's all hipster

Yeah but it's Golden... :smirk:
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, highmarker said:

gets me is how 90/100 tires have been out forever, then GT calls it a fatty and now it's all hipster

Numbers are hard, simple words easy.

• Like 1