250r TO 250x help!

bike is a 2005 crf250r I have tried adjusting rear shock with no great benefits. I'm 5 10' 160 and the rear suspension is very firm this bike is 60% pits 20% track and 20% trail. a friend has a 250x and the rear sag and setup seems perfect! can I buy a 250x rear shock assembly and bolt it on direct? will this cure my rear suspension issue (sorry I'm a suspension noob) and assuming years 04-07 fit?

2 hours ago, 207RIDER said:

bike is a 2005 crf250r I have tried adjusting rear shock with no great benefits. I'm 5 10' 160 and the rear suspension is very firm this bike is 60% pits 20% track and 20% trail. a friend has a 250x and the rear sag and setup seems perfect! can I buy a 250x rear shock assembly and bolt it on direct? will this cure my rear suspension issue (sorry I'm a suspension noob) and assuming years 04-07 fit?

Might be time to sell this NICE bike and get a 250X for a build :)

3 hours ago, 207RIDER said:

60% pits 20% track and 20% trail.

Yeah by the sounds of it, perhaps a complete CRF250X would better suit your usage.

However I did experiment revalving a friend's '07 CRF250R with pretty much the stock X settings (spring rates plus valve stacks)

At only 135lbs, the softer settings suit him better even for recreational motocross usage but are likely still too stiff for trail riding.

Myself at 165lbs find the stock X shock spring too soft and fork springs too stiff for 100% trail riding.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Might be time to sell this NICE bike and get a 250X for a build
250x are hard to come by up here and they are very over priced when they do. part of it I'm sure is the difference from the couch cushion xr400 I was used too.. no comparison I love the weight and power but if I could get the suspension dialed in I would be a happy camper
Yeah by the sounds of it, perhaps a complete CRF250X would better suit your usage.

However I did experiment revalving a friend's '07 CRF250R with pretty much the stock X settings (spring rates plus valve stacks)
At only 135lbs, the softer settings suit him better even for recreational motocross usage but are likely still too stiff for trail riding.

Myself at 165lbs find the stock X shock spring too soft and fork springs too stiff for 100% trail riding.
I will have to try adjusting the settings alittle more but maybe just purchase a rear spring setup for my weight and dialing it in from there? thanks for the info!

If you purchase a used shock assy, likely it will be a least 5+ years old.

At the very minimum you should replace the oil, bladder and recharge the nitrogen.

Suspension components maintenance commonly neglected,

without any past history on it, simply bolting it on could yield worst results than your current R shock.

It's perhaps the reason your R shock is un-responsive to external adjustments (oil spent, air pockets / cavitation etc.)

also make sure your linkage bearings aren't seized or binding and of course, well greased.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

If you purchase a used shock assy, likely it will be a least 5+ years old.
At the very minimum you should replace the oil, bladder and recharge the nitrogen.

Suspension components maintenance commonly neglected,
without any past history on it, simply bolting it on could yield worst results than your current R shock.

It's perhaps the reason your R shock is un-responsive to external adjustments (oil spent, air pockets / cavitation etc.)
also make sure your linkage bearings aren't seized or binding and of course, well greased.

I have checked and greased my assembly with no difference. I was curious as I see the offer spring rates for different weights. maybe buy used 250x shock and install a new spring for my weight or the same for my current 250r shock? and like I said I'm a suspension noobie here so I'm sorry for the questions but only way to learn. would I be able to send spring and shock assembly yo a company (recommendations) and let them know what I'm after

I would recommend just sending the shock in your bike out to get it set up for you.  Factory connection has always done a great job for me.  They can change the internals and the spring to set it up for the type of riding you are doing.  Not worth trying to buy a second shock and then start chaining parts.

• Like 2

The X spring is softer at 4.8kg/mm, the R spring usually a 5.2 or 5.3kg/mm.

At 160lbs I'd still opt for the stiffer R spring but use the softer 'X' shock's internal settings (went even softer in my case),

the faster rebound (due to increased spring rate) may be beneficial for off-roading, but will require going a few clicks stiffer when MX'ing.

As onekidneywonder suggested above, having your current shock serviced and perhaps softened a bit to match your usage and weight

(removal of a few face shims etc.) would be much better than miss-matching old and new parts.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 3

I would recommend just sending the shock in your bike out to get it set up for you.  Factory connection has always done a great job for me.  They can change the internals and the spring to set it up for the type of riding you are doing.  Not worth trying to buy a second shock and then start chaining parts.
any idea what this usually runs and what the typical turn around is?

The X spring is softer at 4.8kg/mm, the R spring usually a 5.2 or 5.3kg/mm.

At 160lbs I'd still opt for the stiffer R spring but use the softer 'X' shock's internal settings (went even softer in my case),
the faster rebound (due to increased spring rate) may be beneficial for off-roading, but will require going a few clicks stiffer when MX'ing.

As onekidneywonder suggested above, having your current shock serviced and perhaps softened a bit to match your usage and weight
(removal of a few face shims etc.) would be much better than miss-matching old and new parts.
awsome that sounds like the way to go! just alittle more sag so I can flat foot and a little softer through the trails is what I'm after but don't want to loose all track ability.

207,  your profile doesn't indicate your location ?

If near Eastern Ontario, EVO Suspension in Ormstown Qc does that type of work.

207,  your profile doesn't indicate your location ?
If near Eastern Ontario, EVO Suspension in Ormstown Qc does that type of work.
I'll have to change that I'm located in Maine lol the 207 is our area code!

Again using my stiffer spring / softer valving shock setup,

I recently rode my CRF250X on a vet style MX track (tabletops, mix of bermed and flat corners, soft soil)

and apart from slowing down the rebound by 4 clicks, with no other changes the rear handled everything fine.

The forks on the other hand with both the softer springs and much softer valving bottomed hard if I overshot the down ramps and flat landed.

In Maine, luckily you are located close to Factory Connection.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Again using my stiffer spring / softer valving shock setup,
I recently rode my CRF250X on a vet style MX track (tabletops, mix of bermed and flat corners, soft soil)
and apart from slowing down the rebound by 4 clicks, with no other changes the rear handled everything fine.

The forks on the other hand with both the softer springs and much softer valving bottomed hard if I overshot the down ramps and flat landed.

In Maine, luckily you are located close to Factory Connection.
thank you again for all this info! do you have an idea on the turn around time or price idea on what this would cost from them?

Sorry no idea on prices as I do my own revalves

but keep in mind suspension parts can be expensive if required to refurb your shock.

FC are very helpful, they've taken time to explain tech tips over the phone when ordering parts from them.

Best bet is to e-mail them with all your infos (bike, weight, skill level, anticipated usage etc.) the more details you provide, the better.

If you are worried about turn around time, wait to send your shock in at the end of your riding season.

Edited by mlatour

Sorry no idea on prices as I do my own revalves
but keep in mind suspension parts can be expensive if required to refurb your shock.
FC are very helpful, they've taken time to explain tech tips over the phone when ordering parts from them.

Best bet is to e-mail them with all your infos (bike, weight, skill level, anticipated usage etc.) the more details you provide, the better.

If you are worried about turn around time, wait to send your shock in at the end of your riding season.
awsome I will send them an email this afternoon and unfortunately riding season up here is slowly but surely winding down

According to their website turn around time is 2 days right now.  so add in shipping time and your prolly looking at a week?  As for price....best to give them a call or send them an e-mail.  They are always great to talk to whenever I have called them.  Its not the cheapest place to have them done, but they offer a great service even after you get it back and if your riding needs change they will re-valve it for free later on.

• Like 1

According to their website turn around time is 2 days right now.  so add in shipping time and your prolly looking at a week?  As for price....best to give them a call or send them an e-mail.  They are always great to talk to whenever I have called them.  Its not the cheapest place to have them done, but they offer a great service even after you get it back and if your riding needs change they will re-valve it for free later on.
that sounds great I actually sent an email about 40 minutes ago! I would much rather pay to have it done right then not have to redo it later on and good to know on the revalving!

If I can add, be realistic when describing your skill level & speed,

if you overly estimate that they'll likely choose settings that are too stiff for you.

Edited by mlatour