TTR 125 white smoke on stasrt

I just purchased a 2005 TT-R 125 for my son.  Got a great buy on it but it needs a new top end.  I've never done one on a 4 stroke before but might try myself.  It's smoking and spitting oil out the exhaust pipe.  Hoping it just needs a piston and rings.  Is this something I should try myself and how long should it take?

With the parts in hand, it would take me a few hours. But I have the experience and a full shop. Someone who does not have the same, it could take weeks. You need to first figure out (by doing a leak down test) what needs attention.

The bike has good compression and runs well but it drips oil from the exhaust when running It also smokes pretty bad until it's warmed up but still smokes a little after that .

I'm having the same problem with an 05 Yamaha TTR 125.   Light white smoke when its first started up But heave white smoke when it's reeves until warm then light again.  Oil is spitting out the exhaust too.  Just curious what you did to solve it?

Likely going to be that your piston  oil rings have worn out, and your bike is burning oil. you'll need a new set of piston rings. Check your air filter to see if any dirt is getting in, those rings when out for a reason.

My brother and I replaced the top end gaskets in an 04 ttr 125. We did it in an evening, so just a few hours. Luckily the TTR motor is pretty simple, especially compared to the race bikes. My ttr was leaking oil and losing compression, and the gaskets fixed that.