Parts for oldish two strokes

Hi, I am searching for a two stroke and wondering about 2 stroke KTM parts availability. I would like to get a yz125 because of personal preference and because I think that it is very easy to get parts but I am open to buying a KTM if the price/condition is good. Do you know if parts for 125s and 200s from the early 2000s are readily available? 

Thanks

Willy

Sure are because for the most part there the same parts. The 125 engine didn't change any from like 2k-2008.

I have never had any difficulty with smoker parts on any brand going back to the late 90s, aftermarket or OEM.  

I noticed that you specifically mentioned YZ125s,  I own two (03 and 06), and regularly work on and ride two others.  If you are looking for a woods bike, the 98 to 04 steel versions are spectacularly fun and effective.  Don't worry about the specific year--look for a stock bike and buy on price and condition.  If you are an MX guy, I would give the 06 and later bikes the edge, but not by much.  If you come across a decent steel frame example, DO NOT PASS IT UP!

KTM 125 suspension can be pretty grim before 03, but everything can be tuned.  I like the 07 to 09 chassis myself.  The 06 and earlier bikes are physically smaller if that is important.  The '16 and newer KTM 125 is a great leap forward if you can afford something newer.  

thank you all for the replies. I am not planning on going to the MX track; well, maybe sometimes to be the slowest guy riding... rpt50: do you see your 03 having 5 gears instead of 6 as a disadvantage? Since I am planning on using it for trails, I wonder if I want that 6th gear. Having said that, I am not that concern about top speed. My plan is to buy something cheap and start spending money little by little. When I say cheap, I am thinking about 2k. I know that sometimes it is better to buy a more expensive bike because you end up getting a newer bike but I want to start riding soon. 

Thank you,

Willy

On 8/31/2017 at 4:40 PM, willysp said:

thank you all for the replies. I am not planning on going to the MX track; well, maybe sometimes to be the slowest guy riding... rpt50: do you see your 03 having 5 gears instead of 6 as a disadvantage? Since I am planning on using it for trails, I wonder if I want that 6th gear. Having said that, I am not that concern about top speed. My plan is to buy something cheap and start spending money little by little. When I say cheap, I am thinking about 2k. I know that sometimes it is better to buy a more expensive bike because you end up getting a newer bike but I want to start riding soon. 

Thank you,

Willy

I would think you would be able to find plenty of YZ 125s in great shape for 2K.  As for the transmission, I actually prefer the 5 speed for most conditions.  I really scream the motor, and I can hold first gear longer in the older bike with the 5 speed.  But it's not a huge difference.   YZ 125s are solid bikes, and I like them all from 98 on.  From 02 on the plastics and many parts are the same.  From 06 on the bike is essentially unchanged.  The older bikes (98-01) have a more traditional curved seat which I actually like, since I have a 30" inseam.  The older motor (up to 04) is a little more "old school" 125 (weak low, not much mid, and really nice top-end and over rev).  The current motor (05 on) has a nice mid range for a 125.  Both bikes are dead even in drag races, but I just kind of prefer the older powerband.  

I have a 2000 KTM125EXC and have no problem finding any parts. There is a huge interchangeability with 1997-2017 KTM 125/144/150/200 motors and frames. The 200 and earlier 125 motors use a 2mm smaller diameter crank. I just had my 2000 cases bored so I can use the more readily available later 125 (0.5mm longer stroke) or 144 crank. 

My son had a late 90s YZ125 that had the ferocious upper powerband you talk about. My 2000 KTM125EXC seems very docile in comparison but is actually faster in a drag race and with the wide spread 6 speed gearbox has much higher top speed.