Parts for oldish two strokes

Hi, I am searching for a two stroke and wondering about 2 stroke KTM parts availability. I would like to get a yz125 because of personal preference and because I think that it is very easy to get parts but I am open to buying a KTM if the price/condition is good. Do you know if parts for 125s and 200s from the early 2000s are readily available? 

Thanks

Willy

I have never had any difficulty with smoker parts on any brand going back to the late 90s, aftermarket or OEM.  

I noticed that you specifically mentioned YZ125s,  I own two (03 and 06), and regularly work on and ride two others.  If you are looking for a woods bike, the 98 to 04 steel versions are spectacularly fun and effective.  Don't worry about the specific year--look for a stock bike and buy on price and condition.  If you are an MX guy, I would give the 06 and later bikes the edge, but not by much.  If you come across a decent steel frame example, DO NOT PASS IT UP!

KTM 125 suspension can be pretty grim before 03, but everything can be tuned.  I like the 07 to 09 chassis myself.  The 06 and earlier bikes are physically smaller if that is important.  The '16 and newer KTM 125 is a great leap forward if you can afford something newer.  

thank you all for the replies. I am not planning on going to the MX track; well, maybe sometimes to be the slowest guy riding... rpt50: do you see your 03 having 5 gears instead of 6 as a disadvantage? Since I am planning on using it for trails, I wonder if I want that 6th gear. Having said that, I am not that concern about top speed. My plan is to buy something cheap and start spending money little by little. When I say cheap, I am thinking about 2k. I know that sometimes it is better to buy a more expensive bike because you end up getting a newer bike but I want to start riding soon. 

Thank you,

Willy

On 8/31/2017 at 4:40 PM, willysp said:

thank you all for the replies. I am not planning on going to the MX track; well, maybe sometimes to be the slowest guy riding... rpt50: do you see your 03 having 5 gears instead of 6 as a disadvantage? Since I am planning on using it for trails, I wonder if I want that 6th gear. Having said that, I am not that concern about top speed. My plan is to buy something cheap and start spending money little by little. When I say cheap, I am thinking about 2k. I know that sometimes it is better to buy a more expensive bike because you end up getting a newer bike but I want to start riding soon. 

Thank you,

Willy

I would think you would be able to find plenty of YZ 125s in great shape for 2K.  As for the transmission, I actually prefer the 5 speed for most conditions.  I really scream the motor, and I can hold first gear longer in the older bike with the 5 speed.  But it's not a huge difference.   YZ 125s are solid bikes, and I like them all from 98 on.  From 02 on the plastics and many parts are the same.  From 06 on the bike is essentially unchanged.  The older bikes (98-01) have a more traditional curved seat which I actually like, since I have a 30" inseam.  The older motor (up to 04) is a little more "old school" 125 (weak low, not much mid, and really nice top-end and over rev).  The current motor (05 on) has a nice mid range for a 125.  Both bikes are dead even in drag races, but I just kind of prefer the older powerband.  

I have a 2000 KTM125EXC and have no problem finding any parts. There is a huge interchangeability with 1997-2017 KTM 125/144/150/200 motors and frames. The 200 and earlier 125 motors use a 2mm smaller diameter crank. I just had my 2000 cases bored so I can use the more readily available later 125 (0.5mm longer stroke) or 144 crank. 

My son had a late 90s YZ125 that had the ferocious upper powerband you talk about. My 2000 KTM125EXC seems very docile in comparison but is actually faster in a drag race and with the wide spread 6 speed gearbox has much higher top speed.