Stripped head off tranny bearing holder bolt

I stripped the head off one of the bolts holding on one of the tranny bearings in my case. I drilled the head off, and attempted to drill the old bolt out to retap but even with cobalt bits and a drill press, the bit ended up wandering off the side of the hard steel bolt into the much softer cases.

The other bearing only has one tab holding it in, and since they both have a similar load on them, is 2 tabs necessary for this other bearing?

received_718820204970806.jpeg

What I reckon I'll end up doing is cutting a new bracket out of some equivalent thickness steel, filling the old hole with jb weld, and drilling 2 new holes either side of the original, roughly like this (holes will be bigger than the red dots)

received_718823784970448.jpeg

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? I'd counter sink the heads like the stock one is, and there's enough room for this bracket to fit, but if I'm missing something obvious or if it's overkill, then please tell me.

Sent from my SM-G920I using ThumperTalk mobile app

Well, first things first; The factory wouldn't spend the $ to put in 2 main bearing tabs if only 1 was needed.

It looks like the side drilling plan will work out as long as there's no internal interference on assembly and you have enough casing thickness.

For drilling, make sure you spot the drill location with a punch. Ideally, you should then use a center drill to locate the hole first. A #1 c.d. (.125" shank dia.) s/b about the best size. Just center drill deep enough for a clean lead-in angle.

615Vx74GZAL._SY355_.jpg.60a7448704900b0671984ab7cfcea132.jpg

Then drill with a smaller size drill than needed and work your way up to the tap drill size. The use of the drill press will help a lot.

Note that most countersink screws are 82 degrees (not 60 or 90). Be sure to check and use the right c'sink in the tabs.  Don't forget to Loctite.

2d8fb3bd-3b8a-4e68-8234-4713dca7e69d_1000.thumb.jpg.11014dfdecfc9fd1ce3006544b7f40c9.jpg

It will be easy to remove with a screw extractor, or even just drill and dremel it out.

I tried using easy outs, dremel and drill, but it wouldn't make a nice round hole to retap. I might just have to go with a new tab

4 minutes ago, thredbo said:

A chisel? What use would that do?

Use it to loosen screw. Hit a grove in it then tilt chisel and tap towards left.  Hard to exsplain but very effective for that same problem 

can you see the other side of the bolt outside of the case?  If so you might have another try to get a drill bit dead center with an easy out in there to remove it.