What motorcycle for North Cape, Mongolia, Tour of Africa?

Hi,

I’m planning to go on a very long trip by motorcycle. First I want to start with North Cape (from Romania, aprox. 9000 KM) and then Mongolia (aprox. 22000 KM) or Tour of Africa (aprox. 55000 KM). Right now, I have a Suzuki DRZ 400 S (2006), but in my opinion, for this kind of trips I will require a different moto. Worth mentioning here is that my mechanical skills are somewhere around 3 out of 10, but before going in these trips I will really familiarize with the bike from an mechanical/ electrical perspective. My budget for it is between 4000-8000$. I will buy it from EU market and my guess is that it will be second-hand.   

If possible, I would really appreciate your opinions about the following:

1. What motorcycle would you recommend for this kind of trips. Until now, my options are: BMV 650 GS Dakar, 1200 GS (2006-2007), Yamaha XT 660 Z Tenere, Africa Twin (90-03)?

2. What motorcycle would be better: a newer one with more electronics or an older one with less electronics?

3. What mechanical/ electrical parts do I need to know how to change/ repair before going in this kind of trip?

4. What mechanical/ electrical spare parts would you take with you in this kind of trip?

5. What other recommendations do you have for me?

Thank you in advance!

Alex     

Alex you will find more activity on this forum related to dirt bikes rather than adventure bikes.  I suggest you try over at www.advrider.com  Lots more postings and riders that are into the adventure bikes....which is what I would expect you would be looking for given your topic.

Edited by SilvFx

Simple(Suzuki DR650)something that can be fixed in BFE, something that can accept varying quality of fuels. You will have to become an 7 out of 10 at least for a trip like this due to the remoteness at times. 

Edited by DEMI