2005 CRF450X Not starting via electric start

I have a 05 CRF450X that was just rebuilt that is not starting via its electric start. I can start it with the kick starter as well as a rolling start down a hill though. Once started it seems to run just fine. I have it at a bike shop right now and they are stumped as well. So far I know the battery has been tested/replaced, the carb has been cleaned, jetting is good, and they have also tested the starter motor and things all look okay. Any ideas where to look next?

Is it even trying to turn over when you hit the button?

Bad E button, bad starter relay, bad starter, loose wire or most likely, something is unplugged. The bike shop is worthless. Diagnosing a non-working electric starter is stupid simple.

• Like 2

Sorry I didn't mention that it is turning over with the electric start, and it didn't start with a jumper directly on the starter. Thinking it's the starter motor that is bad.

6 hours ago, David Rediger said:

Sorry I didn't mention that it is turning over with the electric start, and it didn't start with a jumper directly on the starter. Thinking it's the starter motor that is bad.

If it is cranking, it should start.

The only times it would not is if there were a wiring issue (some bikes have wiring that interfaces with E start, delaying spark for a few rev's so as to permit the e start to pick up momentum and not let a initial back fire over load the starter. Easy to check by disconcerting the wire from the E start circuit. If the battery is weak, it could have insufficient voltage to fire the plug while cranking, easy to check with a meter during cranking