Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My 2017 350xcf AER forks got harsh and I noticed that I was using only about half of the travel.  My pressure at the valve dropped from 128 to 101 and when I pulled the left fork bleeder, about 10 seconds of air hissed out.  I figure it is my inner and outer cartridge seals...shown at minute 2:03 of the video below.  It's been surprisingly hard to find these seals.  Can anyone verify if these are the correct replacement parts?  

Thanks!

one of two:  http://www.suspensiondirect.com/shop/wfaps-a48t 

two of two: http://www.suspensiondirect.com/shop/wfcs12-a48

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never mind.  It looks like WP no longer sells those seals individually and instead you need to purchase the $100 seal head assembly.  They said it is because tuners were damaging them during installation.  I wonder if someone at WP damaged mine on installation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many hours on it ? And have you ever bottomed really hard?as that damages the seal head

you can't argue with stupid or Yamaha owners

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you see ur wp dealer you should get the part and fitted for your $100 I would think, the blue seal is very ridged and installation is hard to do and keep the seal in shape, also in the video the guy fits the seal head onto the wrong end of the rod, if you take the piston off the rod the shaft is tapered the end he's fitting to has a step in, this is hard to install as the seal lips are in opposite directions, feels horrible that way. The job of fitting a seal head is about 30mins max

Edited by karlace
Spelling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2017 at 0:28 PM, mog said:

How many hours on it ? And have you ever bottomed really hard?as that damages the seal head
 

Mog, The bike has 59 hours on it.  I do most of my rebuilds at 60 hrs.  I've bottomed it but not hard at all.  We're riding mountain singletrack this time of year so the only bottoming opportunity is crossing a fast water bar to a flat landing during transitions.  I'm waiting on the part so hopefully it will arrive today.  

 

On 8/31/2017 at 2:41 PM, karlace said:

If you see ur wp dealer you should get the part and fitted for your $100 I would think, the blue seal is very ridged and installation is hard to do and keep the seal in shape, also in the video the guy fits the seal head onto the wrong end of the rod, if you take the piston off the rod the shaft is tapered the end he's fitting to has a step in, this is hard to install as the seal lips are in opposite directions, feels horrible that way. The job of fitting a seal head is about 30mins max

Thanks Karl.  Our local dealers were not helpful, but they usually aren't.  I don't have a problem installing a difficult seal, but it seems like at least in the US, WP doesn't sell the seal individually anymore.  You need to purchase the entire seal head as I understand.  My seal head wasn't damaged.  I'm ordering the part through a tuner I collaborate with on testing.    

Thanks for the advice guys.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, Mog, I can't tell if you're a Yamaha fan or if your'e being sarcastic with your signature.  Being a suspension guy, you have to be a Yami fan.  Then again, you'll make more money by fixing WP's.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this POS still leaks air.  Apparently WP had the top cap on the air spring cartridge jammed in the threads.  That's fixed now.  They sent about 20 seals and bushings in the rebuild kit but it didn't include many o-rings and seals for the air side.  The only thing I can think of that it could be is the o-ring in the blue bottom cap on the cartridge rod.  The cap that backs up against the lock nut.  Yes, I bottomed out the blue nut before snugging the lock nut but that yellow o-ring didn't come in the o-ring kit. 

Any other thoughts?  Getting pretty frustrated with these forks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charge the cart up, I submerge mine in the wash tank u can see bubbles, I can't see u having troubles with the o ring in the bottom of the rod, it only has neg chamber presure in there, the fork would of felt topped out but with no real presure loss. Did u replace the seal head or just the seal, it really is only a 30 min job

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, karlace said:

Charge the cart up, I submerge mine in the wash tank u can see bubbles, I can't see u having troubles with the o ring in the bottom of the rod, it only has neg chamber presure in there, the fork would of felt topped out but with no real presure loss. Did u replace the seal head or just the seal, it really is only a 30 min job

Excellent idea Karl.  I sprayed it down with soapy water and found just a little air leaking from under the cap.  This o-ring was not installed properly from the factory so it was chewed up.   It looks like the replacement is still leaking.  I'll be back at it tomorrow and I think this will fix it.  If anyone knows where to purchase just that o-ring, let me know.  

Thank you for all of your advice!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×