Carrying extra fuel.

There has been discussion here on the 690's limited range and the various plumbed in auxiliary tanks. Because of the always there aspect and high cost they don't seem to be a good option for me.

A recent ride had me almost running out of fuel however, a 3 gallon fill. I sweated it a bit. I need to do something. But similar situations are likely to be rare.

The 2 options I've identified are a 1 gallon RotopaX mounted to my rear rack. I could strap additional items on top and of course I still have the saddle bags. 

The other option I've identified is using 4 good quality liter oil containers, the heavier ones from premium oils, fork oil, filter oil, etc. 2 in each saddle bag. Cost is a plus though I'm a bit concerned about potential leakage. Also the mouths of these containers are quite large which adds the concern of spillage when filling.

Any comments, additional options, etc appreciated. Thanks.

I should add, a much more likely occurrence is to find the only fuel available is regular rather than premium. In this case I pump just enough regular to get me to a premium pump. I don't bother to switch to the poor fuel map. No issues thus far, but I'm interested in opinions on this practice.

A riding buddy with a 690 and I decided those expensive front tanks really are not needed in this part of CA. I really don't want a rally bike or a mini 950 Adventure. 

So, I have one of these .. 

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/gas-bag-fuel-safe-bladder/

Don't remember paying that much. Got it when it was first introduced. I strap it to the grab handles on my rear rack. Also have used a MSR water bag, canvas over plastic, similar design as the Giant Loop. 

Also, a 1 gal oil jug in a backpack on a more mellow DS ride. Would not want to flip over backwards with that setup.. 

A large silicone funnel from a kitchen store is trick for filling the bike, the funnel folds and is gas proof.

1 extra gallon is really all I have ever needed. But I'm not a big desert rider... 

I did the Roto-pax on the rear rack for my 950 and think it's too heavy for my 690 world.. 

Edited by DrKayak
  • Like 1

I've decided to go with the oil bottle solution for now. It's free and I don't expect to require it that often. I will squeeze the bottles after filling to allow for expansion. If it is unsatisfactory I'll try something different.

For anyone considering the rotopax, I found a Chinese imitation on AliExpress in 3 liter and 5 liter versions for half the price. The proprietary mounting system seems a bit sketchy though, depending in application. Fine horizontally on a rear rack I think.

AliExpress is Alibaba?