What's the reality of a 2011 KX450F as a trail bike?

Looking at a 2011 KX450F and was wondering how it would do in the trails? I know it's a great MX Bike but I'm old, slow and just like to cruise around. The Owner has put a Rekluse EXP on the bike and a few other upgrades but I don't know if the Rekluse is a good or bad thing.

I'm just worried about the bike getting hot and over heating if I don't ride it aggressive. I know they don't have a fan or anything on them to cool them down.

What's your opinion? Good bike given my intended purpose. Also I'm a big dude. 6'5 and 255lbs so not really interested in a 250F and have a $3-3500k budget.

I'm very green biased by I'll tell you that kx450 will NOT be a good trail bike . It will be handful and way too stiff of suspension for trails .will over heat in the slow stuff or if it's real hot . If trails and woods are what your primary use will be do your self a favor and get something for woods/Enduro riding . Look for a wr450 , 300 exc or excw ,350 or something like that you will be much better off and you can get one for 35 .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

I am 6/4 and 220. I also ride a kx250f (09) and its great. Always keep a handful of throttle behind the clutch though otherwise you will stall. Great power. Will raise the front tire in 3rd gear. I've been woods riding it in aggressive rocky terrain and as long as you keep it moaning it will pull

Sent from my VS835 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Would you buy a Ferrari to tow a boat?  If you already owned the bike I'd say go ahead an try to make it work.  But since you are in the market to buy a bike, in this day and age of tons of great enduro bikes, why would you buy an MX bike?

Would you buy a Ferrari to tow a boat?  If you already owned the bike I'd say go ahead an try to make it work.  But since you are in the market to buy a bike, in this day and age of tons of great enduro bikes, why would you buy an MX bike?

He has a good point. 300xc's and te 300's are all over the place for sale. By one thats as close to stock as possible and then adjust properly to your settings. But for real a 450 MX bike is just not realistic. My kx250f is a bit much for the real tight stuff. Its not horse power, its power delivery, an enduro bike well lay the power down more gradually rather than all at once.

• Like 1

He has a good point. 300xc's and te 300's are all over the place for sale. By one thats as close to stock as possible and then adjust properly to your settings. But for real a 450 MX bike is just not realistic. My kx250f is a bit much for the real tight stuff. Its not horse power, its power delivery, an enduro bike well lay the power down more gradually rather than all at once.

I appreciate the analogies. Glad I asked the question. I was seriously ready to pull the trigger on a 2011 KX450F. Now I'm glad I didn't. Back to Craigslist and 300 shopping.

18 hours ago, lacofdfireman said:

Looking at a 2011 KX450F and was wondering how it would do in the trails? I know it's a great MX Bike but I'm old, slow and just like to cruise around. The Owner has put a Rekluse EXP on the bike and a few other upgrades but I don't know if the Rekluse is a good or bad thing.

I'm just worried about the bike getting hot and over heating if I don't ride it aggressive. I know they don't have a fan or anything on them to cool them down.

What's your opinion? Good bike given my intended purpose. Also I'm a big dude. 6'5 and 255lbs so not really interested in a 250F and have a $3-3500k budget.

Given you're in Utah, and will probably be riding more open trails (doubtful you have tight woods, rocky, rooty, 1st-2nd gear stuff like here in MO), 450 might be alright. But there are plenty of other bikes out there that are more trail friendly and purpose built for the job..

• Like 1

He was just giving me all kinds of stuff since he is now a Factory Honda rider. He says he can't ride the KTM Stuff anymore. Stock wheelset, brand new set of tires, 3 pipes, 2 extra tanks, 2 pairs of ankle saver foot pegs, box of extra water plastics, case of Amsoil and a ton more.

IMG_9174.JPG

• Like 1