Steering stops and Triples on XR600 USD conversion

I have used the search and not been able to find a good answer. I'm looking for confirmation that the CRF and CRF X steering stops will work on the XR600 tube. I can definitively say that the triple for the 2005-2007 CR250R has stops that allow the triple to come all the way around to the tank mounts. If anyone has a triple that they can identify does work and they know what it's from I would like to know.

Below is the style of stop that will not work without modification.

trip.jpg

You can add or remove any metal for what you need. This is far from the hardest thing in a USD conversion.

When I did the R1 front end, I extended the frames steel stop and narrowed it 1/4" on each side.

When I did the CR front end, I did nothing.

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:31 PM, heart_of_darkness said:

I'm running those triples with the stock unmodified XR600 steering stops, and there are no clearance problems with the stock tank.

Did you use conversion bearings, or a stem? Any chance you can shoot a picture of where your triples are ending up at full lock?

I'm using the conversion bearings, it shouldn't matter which.  Just don't put any spacers under the lower bearing.  I put the spacers above the top bearing's grease seal.

I'm not near the bike to get a photo.  The CRF triples' steering stops aren't designed to work with the 600's style of frame stop, but by nice happenstance the two make contact at the perfect spot.  I'm using the factory 600 tank, which may be a different shape than an aftermarket tank or a 650L tank.

Edited by heart_of_darkness

2 hours ago, heart_of_darkness said:

I'm using the conversion bearings, it shouldn't matter which.  Just don't put any spacers under the lower bearing.  I put the spacers above the top bearing's grease seal.

I'm not near the bike to get a photo.  The CRF triples' steering stops aren't designed to work with the 600's style of frame stop, but by nice happenstance the two make contact at the perfect spot.  I'm using the factory 600 tank, which may be a different shape than an aftermarket tank or a 650L tank.

What I'm running into is the 2005-2007 CR250 triple won't work... It looks like the tube stop had to be larger. If you look at the two ... the stops on the "CR250" on the top is set wider than the stops on the CRF250

trip.jpg

tripl.jpg

Edited by Tmosely1

On 9/6/2017 at 3:58 PM, Tmosely1 said:

trip.jpg

tripl.jpg

My lower triple looks like your second (lower) picture.  The stops are closer inward to the steering stem.  I think my triples came from a CRF450X.

Edited by heart_of_darkness

I put 2004 CRF Forks and complete front wheel on my 1996 XR600 several years ago. Used an Emig stem and turn my own upper collar adapter on a lathe. Turns out the CRF forks, wheel and brake disc assembly work great with the stock XR caliper, so I didn't have to mess with my brake system at all other than zip tying the xr hose keeper to the master cylinder so it stays out of the way.

Back on topic, for the stops I tig welded additional material to the existing stop tab. I then used an angle grinder to take material off to get the right amount of travel without hitting the tank. Its been working great for five years now and has proven to be crash proof.  Hopefully the pictures below help.

Note that by welding the little steel block onto the existing tab, I didn't have to worry about heat distortion of the bearing race area of the frame since I wasn't welding there.

XR600_CRF_Stops_0.jpg

XR600_CRF_Stops_1.jpg

XR600_CRF_Stops_3.jpg

XR600_CRF_Stops_4.jpg

XR600_CRF_Stops_5.jpg

XR600_CRF_Stops_6.jpg

Edited by 9hondas
  • Like 1

I have access to a set of USD forks locally off a CRF250R so this is a very timely discussion. Aside from the challenges of the stem, bearings and stops, there is also the matter of a front wheel and brakes to consider as well as tuning the fork for the additional weight. I'm torn.......

I have access to a set of USD forks locally off a CRF250R so this is a very timely discussion. Aside from the challenges of the stem, bearings and stops, there is also the matter of a front wheel and brakes to consider as well as tuning the fork for the additional weight. I'm torn.......

http://www.racetech.com/page/id/33

Use the racetech calculator to determine what springs you need and what those forks have in them from the factory. I used 06 cr125 kayaba forks and they actually came with stiffer springs than my xr had stock. With my weight factored in, they ended up being fine.

For front wheel I just went with crf parts.
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

http://www.racetech.com/page/id/33

Use the racetech calculator to determine what springs you need and what those forks have in them from the factory. I used 06 cr125 kayaba forks and they actually came with stiffer springs than my xr had stock. With my weight factored in, they ended up being fine.

For front wheel I just went with crf parts.

Thanks TTsuperhero!

I just checked the calculator and the stock CRF spring is .01 stiffer than the stock XR650L fork spring so you are correct.

I appreciate the input. I suppose I had better go have a look at these forks then. Wouldn't want to miss out on a good deal.

Edited by OttawaBRP
add info
  • Like 1