new rmz250 owner

hey guys and gals just picked up a brand new old stock 2016 rmz 250 a few weeks ago , haven't had much time on it yet, just finished the break in , I've always owned hondas so this is totally new to me , have to say from the very little time i have riding it this bike corners better then anything i have ever owned , for being the heaviest bike in the 250 game you cant really tell , so far the only changes i have made are different bars and grips , but bike is in the tear down process right now to start the build over the winter as i will be looking to get back into motocross next season again and run some vet class races as im to old to be playing with those fast young guns lol , one question i did have that i have never experienced before was after i finsihed the break in period i gave the bike a good hard ride and the exhaust was smoking and smelt freaking awful im assuming it was just packing burning off because i let the bike cool down for abit and and went back out and it ran fine still smoked from the exhaust after but a little less , anyone else ever experience this?

so this is the plan for the bike 

-exhaust (haven't decided what system yet any input would be nice )

- new controls

-suspension

- cylinder works big bore 

- vertex piston

and then the little things chains sprockets etc   

7 hours ago, carmelo1970 said:

For the exaust I reccommend the leovince..

Thanks but I tend to stay away from them had one on my crf250 for abit and the quality was pure shit, I choos9ng between fmf or yoshi 

On 8/31/2017 at 7:33 PM, rmz250racer said:

hey guys and gals just picked up a brand new old stock 2016 rmz 250 a few weeks ago , haven't had much time on it yet, just finished the break in , I've always owned hondas so this is totally new to me , have to say from the very little time i have riding it this bike corners better then anything i have ever owned , for being the heaviest bike in the 250 game you cant really tell , so far the only changes i have made are different bars and grips , but bike is in the tear down process right now to start the build over the winter as i will be looking to get back into motocross next season again and run some vet class races as im to old to be playing with those fast young guns lol , one question i did have that i have never experienced before was after i finsihed the break in period i gave the bike a good hard ride and the exhaust was smoking and smelt freaking awful im assuming it was just packing burning off because i let the bike cool down for abit and and went back out and it ran fine still smoked from the exhaust after but a little less , anyone else ever experience this?

so this is the plan for the bike 

-exhaust (haven't decided what system yet any input would be nice )

- new controls

-suspension

- cylinder works big bore 

- vertex piston

and then the little things chains sprockets etc   

Hi, congratulations on your purchase!

I have a'14 RM-Z250 and being a "bigger" guy for a 250 at 230lbs plus gear maybe I can shed some light.

I installed a Yoshimura RS-4, K&N air filter and use the grey\richer coupler and pump gas with stabilizer. Went up 1 tooth on rear sprocket as well.

Oh, and suspension went to Factory Connection for set up.

The bike is a ripper! Super easy to ride! I can get in a solid 12 laps on practice days where on my 450's I would be cooked by lap 6. So more ride time = more fun!!

Chassis is incredible! I set sag at 104mm and I run my fork height with the fork tube line flush with the top of the top tripple clamp.

The weak link is the clutch (If your a clutch abuser) I can heat it up pretty fast, It does not slip, simply loose free stroke at the lever and have to adjust on the fly. I guess a Hinson clutch would resolve this but have not gone that route.

Static weight, who cares, I can shed weight myself (IMO). I feel this help's with the grip and traction of the chassis.

Rs-4 and k&n filter really made a significant difference. Stock the bike is choked up. Let it breathe.

Best of luck!

On 9/2/2017 at 9:08 AM, carmelo1970 said:

Really.. I have one on myne in full titanium and it's wonderful. The sound it's great and I had a lot of torque increase too, of course I put the jd jetting kit on it too that solved lots of carb problems..  

Maybe for a carry it worked good but my bikes efi so can't really compare the 2