Will this flywheel puller work on the DRZ?

I found an old thread where Erik said this was the required thread type, searched eBay with that wording and found this. By far the cheapest I could find. Any advice? 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motion-Pro-08-0321-Flywheel-Puller-M38-X-1-5-R-H-Internal-Thread-/401268259220?hash=item5d6d73b994:g:s70AAOSw-0xYj~x0&vxp=mtr

It is motion pro part number 08-0321, but states the following: Motion Pro - 08-0321 - Flywheel Puller, M38 X 1.5 R.H. Internal Thread

This other one is the part number he originally recommended, but more expensive, but besides being taller it is the same thread style. 08-0306 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motion-Pro-08-0306-M38-X-1-5-R-H-Internal-Thread-Flywheel-Puller-/152094096685?hash=item236983bd2d:g:B8kAAOSwvzRX05Uq&vxp=mtr

Motion Pro - 08-0306 - M38 X 1.5 R.H. Internal Thread Flywheel Puller

Do I have to get the taller one or will the short one in the first link work? 

In summary, same thread types, different Motion Pro part numbers. Curious if either will work because one is cheaper, or just the second one as it was the part number (08-0306) originally recommend by @Erik Marquez in an old thread. 

Edited by Atolduso
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

I dont know of that short one will be deep enough to fit over the flywheel "snout" and reach the threads 

I would guess not, not a single review of anyone using it for a drz on amazon.com and I know I'm not the only cheap bastard out there trying to buy a cheaper one. 

Guess I will play it safe and go for the more expensive one. Thanks for the quick reply. 

Edited by Atolduso
  • Like 1

I would definitely go with the deeper one - going by a search the shorter one only fits a these bikes.

dr1.jpg.96bf75fb9eb6f1fa905ed30e4334c161.jpg

The longer one fits these

drz2.jpg.fd674e1a1e4c93284d130c4fb8d4e6e1.jpg

16 minutes ago, Atolduso said:

I would guess not, not a single review of anyone using it for a drz on amazon.com and I know I'm not the only cheap bastard out there trying to buy a cheaper one. 

Guess I will play it safe and go for the more expensive one. Thanks for the quick reply. 

$10 difference, yes get the one you know works... 

• Like 1

Deep one for sure. It needs to fit over the flywheel plus the crankshaft stick-out.  And I see the deep one has an adapter to protect the end of the crankshaft.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

I would definitely go with the deeper one - going by a search the shorter one only fits a these bikes.

dr1.jpg.96bf75fb9eb6f1fa905ed30e4334c161.jpg

The longer one fits these

drz2.jpg.fd674e1a1e4c93284d130c4fb8d4e6e1.jpg

You are right it would be wise, I thought maybe it was one of those things where its not officially meant for the drz but would work type deals. I will get the longer one though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Erik Marquez said:

$10 difference, yes get the one you know works... 

Unfortunately it wasn't quite that easy, the longer one has import charges as well, so it was $24 or so more. I found the long one a little cheaper somewhere else. 

Thanks everyone. 

Got lucky and was able to borrow a puller off a motorcycle group. 

Got home and to my surprise the threads on the flywheel are all mangled...shit. The puller won't thread onto the flywheel. 

What can I do now? Pull it with a 3 jaw? 

You are going to have to try and fix the threads with a thread file or a die nut. A 3 jaw puller will ruin the flywheel even if it would get it off which is doubtful.  Almost any other option risks ruining both the flywheel and the crankshaft.  Possibly you could weld a puller tho the flywheel.

A die nut is the way to go but expensive however possibly the least destructive.

3 hours ago, Noble said:

You are going to have to try and fix the threads with a thread file or a die nut. A 3 jaw puller will ruin the flywheel even if it would get it off which is doubtful.  Almost any other option risks ruining both the flywheel and the crankshaft.  Possibly you could weld a puller tho the flywheel.

A die nut is the way to go but expensive however possibly the least destructive.

My main problem at the moment is the diameter of the threads is so big. I have a machinist friend and he doesn't believe they even have the tool that repairs threads that big. 

9 minutes ago, Noble said:

Oh I don't doubt it exists, just this one I would need to pay for. (I just meant that they have in shop atm) ;) Stuff from the shop is a favor. 

Thanks for the link and your help. 

Edited by Atolduso

Plus you can buy another flywheel for less than the cost of the die so welding a puller to the flywheel would be an option. I use different pullers of sorts to get flywheels off quite a bit , these that thread on or attach right near the center work by far the best . Other brands of motors require a three way puller that uses the holes around the back and three 8mm bolts , like those holding the sprag bearing on , except the DRZ uses 6- 6mm bolts . A 3/8" plate with 6 holes, instead of the 3- 8mm, in the same bolt circle as the starter bearing and a 5/8-18 threaded center hole (or nut welded there)will work as well . The 5/8 thread is the standard puller size so you can use the rod from most bought pullers . Welding to the center section may cause shrinkage around the crank stub and be even harder to break loose .

That said , I've used a hss cutter sharpened into the 60deg thread shape and in a small boring bore(as a handle) and literally hand cut bad spots out of threads when putting on a machine to re-thread isn't an option . A person can also sand bad spots out of threads leaving the good spots , using air tools . Necessity being the mother of invention .

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

Good point about making a puller using the 6  M6 threads. That might work.  If not, it will just break the M6 bolts but so what, no worse off than when you started.

I agree that is a good idea, I'm going to try and see what long bolts I can find that will thread into those 6 bolt holes and then yeah I could mount the puller on those . Thanks a lot for that idea jjktm.