I want to buy sumo wheel, any suggestion?

I want to buy sumo wheel for my Fe501.

Which brand do you suggest and what size?

Also, any recommendation for the wheel, spoke,hub,nipple color?

Thank you

First thing you should realize is this is not a 15 minute swap-out like it was on my DRZ400, especially if you are going with a big front rotor. You practically have to rebuild your front caliper to change out the bracket for the bigger rotor. Also, your front fork guards will need some modification to fit the wider tire (mine is a 120). I bought some cheap Acebics guards for $35 because I could not bear to butcher my stock ones. You will need to change out your kickstand. You will swear excessively until you figure out the secret to changing that without drawing blood. Don't know about clearance issues on a 5in rear rim, as my tire is a 150/60. Plenty of clearance, and plenty of rubber on the ground for blasting around town. Hasn't gotten me laid yet, though. Speaking of that, you might need to change out your front fender to a true sumo unit if you are a purist. I am not, maybe adding to the dilemma of not getting laid.

All that being said, these things are a blast to ride on. 

BTW, mine are Warp9Elite black rims with chrome spokes, nipples, and hubs (cush hub in the rear). They seem to be very high quality. Oh, and the stock front brake rotor works just fine, unless you are trying to get laid.

Edited by Filipe
  • Like 2

I was thinking of a 120 in the front and 150 in the back with 4.25 inch rear wheel.

Do you think the rear wheel need a cush hub?

Do they sell adjustable kickstand?

I want something with minimum effort to swap.

So i need to go with same gearing, stock rotor, I think 4.25inch rim is easier to switch. Also modify my current fork guard or buy another set.

Anything else

Kick stand is easily modified. Pull the plastic foot out (assuming this is a 15 or 16 model)  then cut stand with a tubing cutter. Reinstall foot. Done. I also run 150 rear 120 front.  Plenty of clearance.  A sanding barrel makes quick work to clearance the front guards. 

I use Warp 9 forged wheels with cush. Although cush may not be needed its peace of mind.

Try Motoxindistries.com Talk to Jim. Great guy that will set you up right!

20160507_163202.jpg

• Like 1

Mine is a 17, when you put Back the enduro wheel, does the stand still work?

I ended up selling my enduro wheels and then cutting my stand again for better lean.

If you cut it so its just short enough for the sumo it will just have more lean in enduro mode. Sometimes an issue in uneven ground.

Edited by S10gto