Handlebar switch wiring 400E

Hello all, just picked up a 2000 400E that has been converted to street legal. I'll probably be here a lot in the future trying to figure this new machine out! I've searched around here but haven't found a solution to my wiring issue.  In my big box of parts I found a drz400S kill switch/start switch.  I'd like to change the bike over to this switch since all of my other bikes have this setup and its just more intuitive to me.  I was able to wire in the E-start button just fine but the run/off switch has me a bit confused.  If i wire it into the existing kill switch plug, the starter will still spin in both the run and off positions.  I don't have the fuel tank on so maybe the CDI won't let the bike actually fire in the OFF position, I don't have the tank on so I'm not sure.  No neutral, clutch or sidestand switches on the bike so those interlocks are gone.  Any suggestions?

Edited by wvrocks

I haven't really checked it but I suspect that starter will spin with engine kill button pressed. Try to check the spark on the spark plug when turning. Or put it back together, start the bike and test the kill switch in which position it works. I guess the worst thing that can happen - it will be reversed - like running on kill position and vice versa.

Edited by Yanka

Thanks!  The spark plug would be the simple place to check.  Didn't think of that at 11 pm last night.  I have my carb out too to check the float height so there is some assembly to get the tank back on for a test.  I do think it may be reversed since the factory switch completes the circuit when pressed.  The S switch looks like it is complete in the ON position.   

The E model uses a true "KILL" switch.  Press the KILL switch and it grounds the ignition.  The S/SM uses a switch that cuts power to the ignition.  You can use the S kill switch but what you have to do is cut the orange power wire that goes to the CDI box.  Leave the original E KILL switch intact or unplug and remove it, but do not try to integrate it into the S kill switch.

My E has an S wiring harness. Emergency stop switch cuts off the ignition.

Edited by Gary in NJ
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gary in NJ said:

My E has an S wiring harness. Emergency stop switch cuts off the ignition.

Thanks, Looks like a pretty simple wiring job now.  Just splice my stop/run switch wires into the orange wire going to the starter button and I should be good.  That should also keep the starter from spinning if it's not in the Run position.  I'll probably just unplug the original kill switch and toss it in my parts box.  

In our wiring harness:

Orange is always switched power

Red is always unswiched power

Black/white is always ground

It's a very simple harness. The only "got-ya" is the interlock box, but it sounds like you don't have it.

• Like 1

Wired the O to O/Y then O/W to W through the stop/run switch and G/Y to G/Y and it works perfectly! Thanks much!