Jump to content

DRZ ignition coil

Recommended Posts

I have an 03 drz that will not start, I've checked fuel, compression, and now I'm chasing spark

I got a manual and started doing some electrical ohm tests.  stator, rectifier, and coil.  The only one that didnt match the specs in the manual was the coil.  I have two coils for this bike and have tried them both in the bike. They both make spark when they're out of the bike and grounded to the frame.  however neither of the coils meet the spec for the secondary coil ohms.  

The spec is like 13k to 20k ohms

one coil gets like 2,500 ohms and the other gets like 5,000 ohms on the secondary 

Are both coils bad? and..

Is it possible that I'm not getting spark in the cylinder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2500 isn't that far out of spec...less resistance should be better than high. I am probably completely wrong though.

I would think if it sparks grounded to the outside of the head it will spark inside. Enough to start or try to start at least.

 

Are you using the same cap with both coils?

 

 

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably neither ignition coil is bad.  I certainly would not worry about the 2.5K ohm reading.

First please identify which model DRZ400 you have. For the moment I will assume an S model.  Verify power (12VDC) to the CDI on the orange with white trace wire.  Verify the green wire in the larger CDI connector is grounded.  Stator charging coils and the regulator/rectifier are of no concern right now as long as you have a good battery to power the system.

Almost always it is the stator (the coils that communicate with the CDI) that is the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

2500 isn't that far out of spec...less resistance should be better than high. I am probably completely wrong though.

I would think if it sparks grounded to the outside of the head it will spark inside. Enough to start or try to start at least.

 

Are you using the same cap with both coils?

 

 

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

 

 

 

 

 

 

yes, same cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Noble said:

Probably neither ignition coil is bad.  I certainly would not worry about the 2.5K ohm reading.

First please identify which model DRZ400 you have. For the moment I will assume an S model.  Verify power (12VDC) to the CDI on the orange with white trace wire.  Verify the green wire in the larger CDI connector is grounded.  Stator charging coils and the regulator/rectifier are of no concern right now as long as you have a good battery to power the system.

Almost always it is the stator (the coils that communicate with the CDI) that is the problem.

The bike is a converted E model. I'll check on all of that and get back to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

E model .  OK that changes things.  It helps to know.  The CDI box for the E is different. In place of the green wire in the larger CDI plug you have a black with yellow trace wire.  That wire in the original configuration goes to the kill button.  With a converted E I have no idea how that wire is integrated into the revised wiring/switches or if it is at all.  That wire needs to be open circuit for the CDI to make sparks. Verify that wire is open when you have whatever switches you have in the RUN position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Noble said:

E model .  OK that changes things.  It helps to know.  The CDI box for the E is different. In place of the green wire in the larger CDI plug you have a black with yellow trace wire.  That wire in the original configuration goes to the kill button.  With a converted E I have no idea how that wire is integrated into the revised wiring/switches or if it is at all.  That wire needs to be open circuit for the CDI to make sparks. Verify that wire is open when you have whatever switches you have in the RUN position.

I will verify it, but i know I have spark when the plug is out of the bike.  I'm just not sure about when its in the cylinder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Do you check the plug gap?
If the plug isn't coming out soaking wet from the motor , you're not getting fuel.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app
 

I checked the plug gap yesterday. The plug didnt come out soaked, but i can't even get the bike to hiccup when i spray ether right in the cylinder.  It almost like there is no spark to ignite it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just went through an ignition issue and the plug looked like it was dipped in fuel everytime it came out.

 

I had another DRZ with a clogged pilot and it wouldn't start with ether either. Even with the carb removed and spraying directly into the intake port.

 

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I just went through an ignition issue and the plug looked like it was dipped in fuel everytime it came out.

 

I had another DRZ with a clogged pilot and it wouldn't start with ether either. Even with the carb removed and spraying directly into the intake port.

 

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

 

 

 

 

well my plug is definitely not soaking wet with fuel so maybe i have a fuel problem.  I just feel like if theres spark in that cylinder and you spray ether in it, I should be getting some sort of response.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spark or no spark can be confusing.  Obviously if no spark it will not run.  But just because you see a spark does nor mean it is making sparks all the time or if they are occurring at the right time.  It is very hard to tell if spark is the problem.  I guess I jumped ahead and though you knew you had a spark problem - not the case.

What is the history on the motorcycle? When is the last time it ran? What was the situation when it decided not to start? Is the motorcycle new to you?

Fuel and spark and valves in time and still no run - don't forget it also needs compression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Noble said:

Spark or no spark can be confusing.  Obviously if no spark it will not run.  But just because you see a spark does nor mean it is making sparks all the time or if they are occurring at the right time.  It is very hard to tell if spark is the problem.  I guess I jumped ahead and though you knew you had a spark problem - not the case.

What is the history on the motorcycle? When is the last time it ran? What was the situation when it decided not to start? Is the motorcycle new to you?

Fuel and spark and valves in time and still no run - don't forget it also needs compression.

The bike is new to me.  Picked it up cheap because it didn't run.  I was told by the previous owner that it has an intermittent spark issue. His story was that it was running when he parked it for the winter and when he got it out in the spring it ran once, he shut it off, and it never started again.  Other than that I don't have any real history on the bike.  I had the head completely rebuilt at a small engine machine shop because the valves were shot.  I have great compression and I also had the carb apart and cleaned all the jets and passages.  The engine is in time and my ignition timing is right.  I feel like it has everything it needs to run but it just won't give me a break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK now I understand better. There is really no good way to confirm it but in cases like this it is almost always the stator.  As said previously the stator serves 2 functions - charging the battery and providing timing information to the CDI box.  The battery charge function is of no concern at this time as long as you have a good battery to power the ignition.  The 2 coil sets (blue and green wire set and black and white wire set) from the stator feed timing information.  There is 1 test you can try.  Some stator failures create cross talk between the coil sets.  Unplug the stator (3 yellow wires) from the regulator/rectifier and see it it  will start.   This is by no means a definitive test unless it runs disconnected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Intermittent spark would be a loss connect or frayed wire.
You didn't mention this in your previous thread on the subject.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app
 

That's just what I was told from the previous owner. I don't know what gave him that idea. The spark seems very consistent to me. It has the same timing between sparks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Ok so, the bowl is full of fuel.  When I sprayed fuel right through the carb I got the slightest bit of a rumble.  HARDLY a response. Its the most life I've seen out of this bike since I bought it. "


Without reviving the other thread,
What did you mean when you said you sprayed fuel through the carb? What exactly did you do?

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

"Ok so, the bowl is full of fuel.  When I sprayed fuel right through the carb I got the slightest bit of a rumble.  HARDLY a response. Its the most life I've seen out of this bike since I bought it. "


Without reviving the other thread,
What did you mean when you said you sprayed fuel through the carb? What exactly did you do?

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app
 

I held the throttle wide open. And sprayed it directly through the carb throat into the intake. All the way to the valves, giving it no option but to go into the cylinder when the intake valves opened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×