JD Tuner installed

IMG_2312.JPG

I got my JD Tuner installed on my 2017 EXC 350. Wasn't too bad to install. I ended up mounting it behind the head light. The hardest part was disconnecting the wire from the fuel injector unit, but that wasn't too bad. Routing the wires was painless. I also removed the screen in the exhaust. I have it set on the default blue and it feels more powerful. I also have the smog removal kit but don't have time to tackle that now. It seems more involved as you have to remove the exhaust and rear shock

default Blue?      not heard of that

Its nice to be up front while your tuning, but some people eventually have developed wire issues , if not real careful with the prep and routing for longevity. 

I mounted mine inside my airbox,grn-4,yel-4.5,red 3.5,grn/bl 3.5, yel/bl 4.5/red/bl 4 on my 16 350sxf works great.

1 hour ago, Spud786 said:

default Blue?      not heard of that

Its nice to be up front while your tuning, but some people eventually have developed wire issues , if not real careful with the prep and routing for longevity. 

when i say default blue, i meant the blue light, it says it comes preprogrammed to a recommended map and you can adjust it from there. I will leave it default and see what happens when I go riding tomorrow. Right now its pouring down rain.  I think i should be good on the wire issue, I had my steering all the way to the right when i mounted everything to ensure enough slack. I will try it here for now and maybe after i see how it performs and or needs adjusting i might find another home for it.

I believe that light is on all the time (no matter the settiings), its like number 7 .

Its important to check where the presents are of ALL settings, cause past history does not match up with instructions.

Many just start changing settings with out checking and writing down the presets.

The presets will not be perfect, close. but not perfect and instructions settings, can be really horrible.

So write down the presets

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

I believe that light is on all the time (no matter the settiings), its like number 7 .
Its important to check where the presents are of ALL settings, cause past history does not match up with instructions.

Many just start changing settings with out checking and writing down the presets.
The presets will not be perfect, close. but not perfect and instructions settings, can be really horrible.
So write down the presets

Yeah I am definitely bringing the directions with me on the trail

2 hours ago, panaman said:

Yeah I am definitely bringing the directions with me on the trail

On my 2015, the presets were closer than the instructions,  the instruction settings, had the bike operating like an over jetted 125(pretty much useless). I spent a couple months and several thousand miles revising settings, cause didn't care for the presets either(alittle better than stock). About 6 months later they revised the instruction settings, very close to where I spent all that time configuring. And they only revised the one configuration in the instructions, there were 3 other configurations left the same. They all should have been revised, but probably didn't have the test bikes to do it.

I heard there were some firmware updates and that may have screwed things up, where newer firmwared tuners, were receiving old instructions originally.

Hopefully the 2017 setups have cleared up a bit.

That's why its important to note the (Presets) right off the bat from the manufacturer(before you change anything), cause the instruction settings could be way different.

On my 2015, the presets were closer than the instructions,  the instruction settings, had the bike operating like an over jetted 125(pretty much useless). I spent a couple months and several thousand miles revising settings, cause didn't care for the presets either(alittle better than stock). About 6 months later they revised the instruction settings, very close to where I spent all that time configuring. And they only revised the one configuration in the instructions, there were 3 other configurations left the same. They all should have been revised, but probably didn't have the test bikes to do it.
I heard there were some firmware updates and that may have screwed things up, where newer firmwared tuners, were receiving old instructions originally.
Hopefully the 2017 setups have cleared up a bit.
That's why its important to note the (Presets) right off the bat from the manufacturer(before you change anything), cause the instruction settings could be way different.

Thanks for the input. I rode off-road today. I had to put the idle down to a minimum. Bike has balls, but it sputters a lot on deceleration. I have removed the reed thing from the air box and punched the screen out of the muffler. I have not removed all the emissions crap yet but I do have the kit to do it. Other than the decel spudder the bike seems to run great.

8 hours ago, panaman said:

Thanks for the input. I rode off-road today. I had to put the idle down to a minimum. Bike has balls, but it sputters a lot on deceleration. I have removed the reed thing from the air box and punched the screen out of the muffler. I have not removed all the emissions crap yet but I do have the kit to do it. Other than the decel spudder the bike seems to run great.

Don't know if these settings are any good, or you have these in the instruction setting options, but these were recently released by JD jetting for reed removed.  or you can compare to presets that you are running.

Try the following tuner setting after removing the reed block and opening up the exhaust:  17 500
Green (5)
Yellow (6)
Red (6.5)
Green/Blue (6)
Yellow/Blue (5)
Red/Blue (4)

why did you have to drop the idle, and is your tps stock?

Don't know if these settings are any good, or you have these in the instruction setting options, but these were recently released by JD jetting for reed removed.  or you can compare to presets that you are running.
Try the following tuner setting after removing the reed block and opening up the exhaust:  17 500
Green (5)
Yellow (6)
Red (6.5)
Green/Blue (6)
Yellow/Blue (5)
Red/Blue (4)

why did you have to drop the idle, and is your tps stock?

Tps is stock. It was idling way too high
  • Like 2

I set it to what you said and the decel pop is at a minimum now. I did have to turn my idle back up. Probably where it was originally. Thanks for the input

12 minutes ago, panaman said:

I set it to what you said and the decel pop is at a minimum now. I did have to turn my idle back up. Probably where it was originally. Thanks for the input

Yeah, just have to spend time comparing the setting change in over all power and throttle function. The fi bikes are very sensitive, one setting to the lean side of perfect, is no different than one side rich of perfect. They both lose power.