PCV experience? Power Commander

Anyone have any experience with the Power Commander 5 (and supplied maps) on a FI 450/500 xc-w?  

I'm STILL fighting stalling/flameout issues, and general low throttle snatchiness on my '14 450 xc-w.  Motor is bone stock with TPS adjustments.  Seems like it's been sputtering (like it misfires once randomly at super low cruising throttle), hard starting if it sits for more than a few secs (like fuel pressure is bleeding off), and generally flaming out at the most inopportune moment, regardless of technique.

I'm pretty sure I need more fuel down low, especially right off idle.  Going with a PCV would let me add this, and give me the ability to tune for a pipe, should I elect to buy one in the future.

What are people's experiences?  

BTW I'm NOT going with the 6X tuner, I find them rudimentary and poor performers.

3 hours ago, bikedude987 said:

Anyone have any experience with the Power Commander 5 (and supplied maps) on a FI 450/500 xc-w?  

I'm STILL fighting stalling/flameout issues, and general low throttle snatchiness on my '14 450 xc-w.  Motor is bone stock with TPS adjustments.  Seems like it's been sputtering (like it misfires once randomly at super low cruising throttle), hard starting if it sits for more than a few secs (like fuel pressure is bleeding off), and generally flaming out at the most inopportune moment, regardless of technique.

I'm pretty sure I need more fuel down low, especially right off idle.  Going with a PCV would let me add this, and give me the ability to tune for a pipe, should I elect to buy one in the future.

What are people's experiences?  

BTW I'm NOT going with the 6X tuner, I find them rudimentary and poor performers.

One of the Husqvarna's was the test dummy for the original Power commander orginal map, to my knowledge they only changed fuel , and got horsepower back to a pre 2017  xcw level, however stock intake reed was still in at the time.   Do they have new maps without the reeds now?

I checked and no they dont

Edit, I see you have a pre 17, has your bike always been this way ?

I cant imagine with an xcw map that you need any more than a jd tuner, but I question whether you bike may have issue, that has developed.

Edited by Spud786

Always been really bad about stalling, seems to be the norm from what I gather.  Always a little 'hitchy' right at low throttle openings.  I don't remember it popping/hiccoughing when new though, and it used to light off instantly no matter what.  

There's been a couple of guys with the ((xcw map)), that found very limited success with TPS adjustment, maybe to .62 volt. issues arose any higher.  But I haven't heard a lot of xcw mapping complaints.

The 2014 model has more options with the pc readily available, but to me by the time that you buy everything(pricey), you could just get the vortex ECU?

seems much simpler and less trouble, and all the lack of added wiring.

course if you have a degrading fuel pump, throttle or injector all bets are off. ((The used to light up easily)), says something has degraded.

I've got a power commander 5 for that bike that I will sell cheap, I've never used it, happy with my bikes power as is.

• Like 1

If it's flame outs when cracking the throttle then you should be able to mostly resolve it with the TPS.  Note that too much fuel will also cause flame outs.  Overly tight valves will also lead to unstable idle, difficult starting and flame outs.  Idle too low, or a dirty fuel injectors can also contribute.  So you've got a few things to check. :)  Try going both up and down on the TPS and see if you can zero in on the best setting.  

Valves are good.  Injector recently cleaned to no change.  TPS has been tried everywhere between .61 and .7.  Not a big difference in riding, especially when on the gas.  Idle set both fast and slow, problem persists.

Last couple days I've thought it through and came to the conclusion:  Since the idle circuit is dumb, ie. the adjuster just adds air to a set amount of fuel, rather than actually moving the butterfly valve and TPS, then both the TPS, which controls fuel at idle, and the idle adjuster, which controls air at idle, must be right.

So I set the TPS where the roll on is smooth when riding, at .63v.  Then turned the idle down until it stopped popping on closed throttle decel.  Runs great, starts better, and seems overall much happier.