Other Rear Shocks that Fit Dizzers

Hey all

I've been doing some research on rear shock upgrades for the DRZ. Having a real, fully adjustable shock with better travel and sag settings would be great for the SM racing I do. I've seen on the forum that people have fit 98/99 RM, 04 crf250, cr250, crf450, showa, and 04 ohlins RM250 shocks before, but does anyone have any personal experience in this realm? I see most don't require any modifications to fit (except for width clearance depending on shock), but would love to hear some tips & tricks from those who have done it in the past. 

Will also be redoing the front so suggestions there would be appreciated. Maybe Ohlins internals?!? :D lol

Just now, ohiodrz400sm said:

The shock is already equal or greater than the shocks you have listed? It's fully adjustable with hi and low speed compression. Suzuki slightly shorten the travel of it and the fork to maintain what they felt was the proper geometry with the smaller wheels.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Travel is part of my reasoning too. Table tops/big whoops in the dirt sections of tracks make me bottom out like crazy. Plus with how heavy the bike it, the ability to have more travel while having better sag for traction is attractive to me. Am I wrong in assuming that?

"more travel with better sag" - I have no idea what that means.

Sag is a function of sprung bike weight + rider AND spring rate.

It sounds like you need a spring that is properly suited for your weight PLUS valving that is appropriate for the type of riding you do. Keep it simple.

• Like 1

Travel is part of my reasoning too. Table tops/big whoops in the dirt sections of tracks make me bottom out like crazy. Plus with how heavy the bike it, the ability to have more travel while having better sag for traction is attractive to me. Am I wrong in assuming that?

I guess I should of first ask what bike you have. The S and E already have "full" travel.

The best thing you can do is have the suspension valved for your weight, ability and riding. You would have to do the same if you used suspension from a donor bike, as it's not set up for your particular bike. If at that point the bike is still holding you back, you need to invest in another bike. Another option is to find a kicker only motor and strip off all the unnecessary electrical stuff. The kick only model was around 45 lbs lighter than the S if I remember correctly.

Agreed on both your posts. I have on 01 S model. 

Revalve and spring will be done, oil and valves on the front too, I was just led to believe that an MX shock (of course an Ohlins) would allow for more adjustability.

Agreed on both your posts. I have on 01 S model. 
Revalve and spring will be done, oil and valves on the front too, I was just led to believe that an MX shock (of course an Ohlins) would allow for more adjustability.

The fork is actually the bigger issue with your particular bike. It's a non-cartridge fork. Suzuki changed it to a cartridge type in 03 I believe. Race Tech sells their Emulator kit which supposedly makes dampening rod forks work almost as well as a cartridge fork.

For what it's worth, I've done the Racetech Gold Valve Emulators on a GSX1100F, SV650S, KDX200, FZ6, my custom cafe racer and a few other bikes that I just can't remember right now - and every time it has completely transformed the bike. It's an excellent product, and when installed as per Racetech's instructions - works as advertised. There is a builders trick with the GVE's to improve low speed damping, if you install them let me know and I'll walk you through it.

• Like 1

The factory shock is fully adjustable. If you have a 2000 or 2001 you may not have high speed compression adjustment (I can't remember), but the it has preload, compression and rebound. You just need to spring and valve it for your use.

25 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

The fork is actually the bigger issue with your particular bike. It's a non-cartridge fork. Suzuki changed it to a cartridge type in 03 I believe. Race Tech sells their Emulator kit which supposedly makes dampening rod forks work almost as well as a cartridge fork.

Interesting, in all my research I haven't seen that, thanks! With Gary's experience below, I think that's a much better (read less expensive) alternative to an SM fork conversion or buying newer forks.

18 minutes ago, Gary in NJ said:

For what it's worth, I've done the Racetech Gold Valve Emulators on a GSX1100F, SV650S, KDX200, FZ6, my custom cafe racer and a few other bikes that I just can't remember right now - and every time it has completely transformed the bike. It's an excellent product, and when installed as per Racetech's instructions - works as advertised. There is a builders trick with the GVE's to improve low speed damping, if you install them let me know and I'll walk you through it.

I appreciate the personal experience and offer, I'lll take you up on it when I do the kit as well. Question. Have you felt or experienced a difference in forks with the kit and cartridge type forks?

17 minutes ago, ptgarcia said:

The factory shock is fully adjustable. If you have a 2000 or 2001 you may not have high speed compression adjustment (I can't remember), but the it has preload, compression and rebound. You just need to spring and valve it for your use.

That was something I read as well, 03 and up have different rear shocks. Might make me more inclined to do the swap then.

• Like 1

GVE converted forks are much better then simple idamping rod forks, but they are not cartridge forks. GVEs allow you to bypass the small holes in the damping rods (by drilling them out) and install an actual valve (the emulator). The GVE provides high speed compression damping that is fully adjustable and fixed low speed damping. Rebound is controlled via thie oil viscosity.