1996 Honda xr250 drove 20 miles with a tight chain now no compression

I have a 96 xr250 and I tightened the chain to 3/8" instead of 1 3/8 "

I ran it for about 20 miles and it never ran bad but when I got home it was dripping oil.

I loosened the chain and filled it with oil and its not dripping on the ground but its going somewhere in the engine cause the dip stick is dry

anyway no compression and I was wondering if I should just buy a motor or junk the bike it is (was) very nice.... I am stupid

thanks for your help

You are posting this in the wrong forum so the moderators will move it.

Your oil should be checked after the motor is warm. It is stored in the frame, not the engine and will sometimes read empty when the motor is cold. Your engine is not junk. But you should loosen the chain. A tight chain can break things.

Take off the spark plug and rotate the engine. See if it is puffing air out of the top. IT should blow your finger off the hole when on the compression stroke.

Buy an owners manual or download one off the net. Read it back to back, it will help you alot with your new bike.

• Like 1

If the tight chain caused the countershaft bearing to fail or cracked the cases it could have lost a great deal of oil over the 20 mile trip.  That could certainly explain the compression loss.

Loosening the chain won't do any good now if damage has already been done.  I guess you could start by examining the engine cases and countershaft bearing.  Find out what was leaking and go from there.

• Like 1

20 miles with a broken case and leaking oil on a XR will toast the top end.  I had the case break around the counter shaft seal on a ride (unkown at the time) and wondered why my engine was running funny during the next few miles back to my truck.  Loss of oil flatted the cam and wore out the cylinder and rings. very low compression and difficult to start.   Required a new cylinder (I was already at the overbore limit), piston/rings, hard faced and reground cam, new rockers, and new left case. 

By all means inspect the cases  for signs of oil leak, and verify if the engine is out of, or low, on oil.