How much oil is too much in a bad way?

Poured in 2l by mistake. Oil level on stick (proper reading method) is above the ribbed/netted area, between the netted area and where the stick turns round - ie. too much. I noticed oil was bubbly like it was in a shaker, not sure this is normal. I know I read somewhere someone who usually put 2 liters in (or was it 2 quarts whatever that is?)

Question: Can I let it be like it is or do I need to drain out some oil?

If I risk engine damage, can I hose out oil when heated up or do I have to mess around with the bottom plug which sucks since I will need a new washer which sucks since it will drain a lot of oil during the seconds it take to swap washer.

[  ] A - You be fine! Bubbles are ok!

[  ] B - Drain, you can drain through oil inlet

[  ] C - Drain, you need drain by bottom.

Thanks!

• Like 1

(A) Bubbles are normal.  The oil level is fine. Don't worry about it.  it is just a little extra in the supply tank.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dmouse said:

The oil filter has a drain bolt, it's only an ounce or so, but you could do it a couple/3times

Cool tip, forgot about that one!

15 minutes ago, Noble said:

(A) Bubbles are normal.  The oil level is fine. Don't worry about it.  it is just a little extra in the supply tank.

Thanks man! 

Bermu- we seem to disagree on a lot of things.  To clarify - Bermudacat's advise is good but it is over kill.  A small amount of over fill does nothing, there is room for it in the frame tank.  Excess over fill like dumping in a liter when the oil is just off the dip stick puts so much oil in the system the excess gets blown into the air box and creates a big mess.  A big mess is pretty much the extent of it.  I suspect that if you drain the sump, run the motor then check the oil level you will find it off the dip stick an will have to add most of what you drained out back in.  The advise to add 2 qt or 2L at an oil change is pretty wide spread and I have done it that way for 17 years.  The exact oil level in a dry sump motor is not very critical.

• Like 2

A bike that 'sumps' winds up with all it's oil in the engine, and we know that the Suzuki 'sumps'. Why risk a blown seal when an ounce of prevention is so cheap?

I've always overfilled these dry sump motors a little , not an issue unless it's a quart too much ,  often maybe a cup or so to empty the bottle . Of course I don't start my cold motors up and pin the throttle , nor does the oil drain all down into the sump , if it does I fix the valve so they don't  . An extra cup will do nothing .

Edited by jjktmrider

Take chances. If your bike sumps as badly as some do, you will get an oppertunity to buy some new tools, and learn lots more about how Suzuki assembles engines. Overfilling your oil provides no benefits, only opportunities for disaster.

Try to monitor how much extra oil you run. That way when a seal gets blown, we can calculate how much of a safety margin Suzuki built in for those who believe overfilling the oil has benefits that outweigh the risks. :D

17 hours ago, Noble said:

The exact oil level in a dry sump motor is not very critical.

Must be why the range on the dipstick is such a small volume, huh?

Why stop at two quarts? If the volume has so little consequence, fill the tank to 50mm from the top. :lol:

• Like 1

:lol: ,

I must be lucky as hell , been taking this extreme failure risk for 20years by not being exact on amounts and generally overfilling by a little rather than wasting time draining any little extra out , 4 to 7 toys at any given time , yet still not any blown seals or any other such dumb nonsense .  It's all common sense(there's that term I have to keep using here) with how much is too much and if a person wants to worry about it, nothing wrong with draining an ounce out to be exact to sleep better at night . 

30 minutes ago, jjktmrider said:

:lol: ,

I must be lucky as hell , been taking this extreme failure risk for 20years by not being exact on amounts and generally overfilling by a little rather than wasting time draining any little extra out , 4 to 7 toys at any given time , yet still not any blown seals or any other such dumb nonsense .  It's all common sense(there's that term I have to keep using here) with how much is too much and if a person wants to worry about it, nothing wrong with draining an ounce out to be exact to sleep better at night . 

Keep filling, Mr Common sense*............................:lol:

* Common sense is the faculty that tells us the earth is flat. :D