CRF230F Front Suspension Drain Bolt not Tightening

Hey there folks!  I've been reading for a while and this is truly a great place full of tons of good info.  So, I'm appreciative of what I have learned thus far.  Hopefully, I can contribute positively to the community in the future.  

I have searched and searched, but I just can't seem to find the answer to the question I'm about to ask.  I replaced my fork seals (thanks to everyone here), and added oil.  Then I noticed there was a small amount of oil dripping out of the drain bolt.  So, I tried to tighten the drain bolt; however, the bolt just spun.  What did I do wrong?  I think I assembled it correctly.

Thanks,

Danny

Not sure what you mean by a "Drain Bolt"
If your talking about the Allen head bolt in the lower fork leg that threads into the damper rod and holds everything together then make sure you use a "new" copper gasket in place of the removed "old" gasket.
If you have a genuine Factory Honda Shop manual there is a torque spec that in conjunction with a NEW copper gasket, pretty much guarantees "No more leaks"

Good luck

• Like 1

Yes, it's the Allen head bolt that screws into the damper. I got one fork all back together and it seemed tight, then after I added the oil I noticed a leak. So, I think I will try compressing the shock so the spring with hold the damper on place while I torque down the Allen screw. I don't have a manual, so does anyone know the torque spec?

I got new copper washers from my local Honda dealer. They didn't have any of the Allen head screw so I went to Home Depot and got 8mmx1.25. They thread in there fine. 

Thanks again. 

Thanks for the help. I put the spring in there and capped it off with the top cap. I was able to compress the spring and put enough pressure on the damper so the drain bolt could be tightened. So far, 24 hours and no leaks. 

Shop manual says 14 ft. lbs., new washers, and to use locktite (blue) on that socket head screw.  

Did you pay attention to what grade the new bolts are?  I have no idea what grade they are but the oem Honda bolts would be the correct grade.

On 9/1/2017 at 9:21 PM, dannythump said:

Yes, it's the Allen head bolt that screws into the damper. I got one fork all back together and it seemed tight, then after I added the oil I noticed a leak. So, I think I will try compressing the shock so the spring with hold the damper on place while I torque down the Allen screw. I don't have a manual, so does anyone know the torque spec?

I got new copper washers from my local Honda dealer. They didn't have any of the Allen head screw so I went to Home Depot and got 8mmx1.25. They thread in there fine. 

Thanks again.