Cam Chain Tensioner

Well I have not had any bad luck on other makes yet. How long do ktm tensioners last.

tensioner could last the life of the bike - how long is a piece of string ?

but i had 2 fail on me on my old crf's - so for peace of mind i swap them out

I swapped them out on both of my bikes for piece of mind as I have done on other bikes but actually left the stock one on my rmz450 and never had issues.  There are a few options for KTMs.  I went with DJH which is a true manual replacement but both i have used have had a small amount of oil weepage out of the threads.  Dirt Tricks(i think) makes one that replaces the piston setup inside the stock one i think.  I am sure there are about a million posts about them. 

• Like 1

there's a popular reason to replace with manual or Dirt tricks, if you dump bike, you can lose oil pressure to tensioner [which is how it works],slips the cam, bends the valves & whatever else:banghead:, spend a lot of money

Dude, just ride and enjoy your new 450.

It will outlast you :)

Edited by yzrider53

Oil pressure?? Wouldn't it be better to use a different tensioner and have that oil go somewhere else??

On 9/4/2017 at 8:02 PM, YZF1825 said:

Oil pressure?? Wouldn't it be better to use a different tensioner and have that oil go somewhere else??

That's what the DJH one does.  Gives you a different set screw to stop the oil from going to the CCT since its manual.  They claim it gets more oil to the head.  Don't know how the dirt tricks ones are setup cause i haven't used them.