I posted this in the atv forum but don't see much action on the atv part of this forum and I am a dirt biker and thought maybe someone could help me here. Anyhow Trying to fix a neighbor's Kodiak and I need to know what to try next. Stock jetting 105 main 45 pilot 2 clip on the needle-just moved it to the first made no difference. 5300' and up. Fuel screw doesn't matter where i turn it problem still occurs. Any throttle from just off idle to about 1/4 thing just bogs and sputters. Anything after that it runs really well. He told me it just started up one day and has run like this since. When i first got it the spark plug was completely black and wet. So I started taking it apart and found the accelerator pump diaphragm had a whole in it so I replaced it. Carb and jets are clean starts up and idles perfect. Most of the black wet on the spark plug is mostly gone now after only riding it up and down the road a few times.The only thing I know that it is missing is the I think they call it the baffle bowl. The plastic bowls that sits on the main jet. Would that cause this, do I need it and where should I start making changes lean up the pilot or the main. Or would the baffle bowl fix this. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my XT1585 using ThumperTalk mobile app

1 hour ago, kx450f06 said:

Thank you I will try that next. Do you think that plastic bowl on the main jet is something I need to get, it was on the exploded view is the only reason I noticed it.

It won't solve your immediate problem but yes, it should be there

Do not change the jetting if it ever ran well with the jetting it has now. Replace worn parts in the carb like the emulsion tube if possible

Edited by THE KRAN
  • Like 1

It won't solve your immediate problem but yes, it should be there

Do not change the jetting if it ever ran well with the jetting it has now. Replace worn parts in the carb like the emulsion tube if possible

Thanks, I'm Going to adjust the float height if that doesn't fix it which one is considered the emulsion tube and how do you know if it's worn out and needs replaced.Screenshot_20170901-234901.thumb.png.4df9ed885743ea95c39299d576910057.png

Lower the float height

Thank you for your help. Sorry for the long delay he used the atv for a week then I ordered a few parts. So I lowered the float height it helped a ton but I still have a little bog. I have a question so it runs pretty good compared to what it used to. I'm still in the first clip position the float is on the lower side of adjustment. When I give it a little throttle it still bogs a little the further I turn the fuel screw in the less bog I get I'm almost turned all the way in. If I turn it out it gets worse and worse. So do I go with a smaller pilot jet? It's still the stock #45

As Kran said, do not adjust the carb jetting if it once ran fine with fine like that. Something is malfunctioning.

eg.  Maybe the choke circuit is always feeding fuel. That'd make it run real rich below 1/4 throttle.

• Like 1

Pilot is for idle only
Replace the worn out emulsion tube
You can't evalutae the jetting till you put the carb back in spec

As Kran said, do not adjust the carb jetting if it once ran fine with fine like that. Something is malfunctioning.
eg.  Maybe the choke circuit is always feeding fuel. That'd make it run real rich below 1/4 throttle.

Thanks guys for the help. I got it running pretty decent. Night and day from where it was. He wants to use it for the hunts this next month or so. So he was fine with it how it is now. I told him if it gets any worse what I needed to replace next on it to fix it. He wants me to do a top end this next spring so I will replace the emulsion tube on it when I do that and check the choke circuit to.
  • Like 1