• Announcements

• Bryan Bosch

NEW SITE FEATURE   09/19/2017

Checkout the ThumperTalk Photo Gallery! Share a single photo, create your own album, or just checkout what others have shared.
psychocandy

ASV clutch lever interference

23 posts in this topic

Sooo, ordered a matched set of ASV lever for the DRZ, both shorty levers. The brake lever is great. With the SS brake lines that I just happened to order before this wknd's Galfer BOGO deal, I can brake with one finger for most situations. Haven't tried it & probably won't, but I can probably stoppie with just 2 fingers.

But, check out this pic of the clutch side:

UDrsKlj.jpg

I can probably grind off a little bit of that, but not all of it. The clutch pulls in enough to engage/disengage smoothly. Just kinda bummed that it's not plug & play. Anyone else using ASV F2 levers that has a fix for this. It looks like the only true fix would be a little grinding of the lever & the switchgear.

Yeah .. I had the same issue and returned the lever , they are not made to clear the switch block .

i use the front lever too .

common issue 

I may be able to return them. ASV had great customer service, too bad they don't fit. 

I'll look at the Zetas again from Soloracer or Wheeling. And the Moose Racing ones. I wanted folding shorties in black and adjustability.

36 minutes ago, psychocandy said:

I may be able to return them. ASV had great customer service, too bad they don't fit. 

I'll look at the Zetas again from Soloracer or Wheeling. And the Moose Racing ones. I wanted folding shorties in black and adjustability.

Cool! Nice that they will return them. Too bad they don't fit right to start with.

I have folders, but with my hand guards I don't really need folders.

I love how the Moose levers have the rubber inlay for traction when things get wet, plus they are priced for people who also need to buy tires, chains, fuel, etc, etc because competing costs serious $$$.

Eight-time National Enduro Champion and eight-time ISDE Champion 'King Richard' Burleson is a design engineer for Moose Racing, which is probably why all their products perform so well and are within the budget of non-factory, non-manufacturer sponsored riders. :thumbsup:

From 1974 to 1981, Dick Burleson won eight consecutive AMA National Enduro Championships, a record so extraordinary that it may never be broken. In addition to his incredible domestic record, Burleson also won eight consecutive gold medals in the International Six Days Trials (now called the International Six Days Enduro). 

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?RacerID=23

https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Home/News-Story/dick-burleson-honored-as-2016-ama-motorcycle-hall-of-fame-legend

1 person likes this

ASV said they'll take them back. A+ to these guys on customer service.

The levers I got were the F2 levers. Anyone know if either the F3 or F4 works with the control pod? The F3 doesn't look that different from the F2, but the F4 looks like it might fit:

http://asvinventions.com/F4-Series-Clutch-Lever-CDF410.html

Does anyone have experience with this?

I ordered the F3 levers. Should be here any day now. Will update when I install to let you know if there are any fitment issues.

@ktmrider2002 I just went ahead & splurged a little & ordered the F4 levers. I'll update here how they fit when they arrive. Luckily I'm in NorCal & ASV is in SoCal, so the round trip should be pretty quick.

this is a little late, but for next time or maybe for your new levers as well. I guess there is some kind of perch extension that you can buy to extend everything a little further from the bar. 

Edited by LeeHoudini

Maybe they sent you the wrong levers. Strange that the second pair doesn't fit either.

On 9/11/2017 at 2:21 PM, ktmrider2002 said:

Just installed the F3 levers. Same issue

Any luck with the F4s?

In the mail, should arrive this week.

F4 are quite a bit more $, but they look really nice. ASV customer service was so good, I decided to splurge and see instead of just going with Zetas. The person I talked to said I was free to return if they still interfered.

The F4 levers are really similar to their sportbike levers and look really slim. I'll update this thread once they arrive. 

On 9/11/2017 at 7:34 PM, Bermudacat said:

Maybe they sent you the wrong levers. Strange that the second pair doesn't fit either.

I think the levers are designed for off road bikes without the control pod. They would work fine without the control pod. It's just the bulky hinge area where the lever is supposed to flex outwards instead of breaking that causes the interference.

It's unfortunately a design issue. But at least they're awesome about replacing/refunding.

10 hours ago, psychocandy said:

I think the levers are designed for off road bikes without the control pod.

But don't they call out the DRZ400 specifically in their application, not just a generic 'Suzuki' lever?

47 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

But don't they call out the DRZ400 specifically in their application, not just a generic 'Suzuki' lever?

Yes. It fits the stock DRZ400 perch. The pod just happens to get in the way. A shitty company wouldn't do anything about it. AVS is being really cool. I hope the F4's don't have the same interference 'cuz ASV is bending over backwards to accommodate me.

It sucks that I ordered these & they ended being problematic. But when you take into account how many different bikes there are to cross reference & manufacture something as simple as as levers for, I think it's pretty cool that 99% of the time, I've not run into fitment issues. Technically, the lever I ordered do "fit." They just run into interference with a stock part.

I ordered a perch spacer and believe that will solve the issue with my F3 levers. If not I will be in contact to swap them out

1 person likes this

They probably fit the E and kicker models. Only the S and SM have the gargantuan switch assembly, and that has changed a bit over the years, too. If you just have to have those levers I'm sure you could find a smaller assembly out there.

21 hours ago, ptgarcia said:

They probably fit the E and kicker models.

E's and kickers haven't been made for nearly a decade. Most part finders I've seen ask E or S/SM.

I'm very well aware they haven't been made for years. Doesn't mean that's not the bike they were made for.

Just went out and rode and if you remove the lock nut on the adjuster it all works fine. Going to try to install the perch spacer and see if I can reinstall the lock nut.