Drz400sm engine issues

Hello this is my first post on here, i own a 2006 drz400sm rs4 dual yoshi exhaust, 434 big bore kit stage 2 jd jet kit 3x3 mod few other small things (stock carb).but anyways i noticed about a week ago my bike began to cut out or lose power when accelerating hard to get on freeway. I ordered a new fuel pump (mine looked fine but just in case) and was gonna clean the carb but i work 6 days a week 2-11 and school 9am-1.i dont got much time. But tonight as i got on the freeway i pushed a tad harder then usual only hitting 80mph.when all of a sudden my bike lost 50% power engine seized and shut off. Bearly made it to the side of the freeway, tried to start up clicked once like it was seized up and when it did the light and dash turned off while the egnition was pushed in. Anyone got a idea what happened and how much it will be to fix? 

Drain the oil make sure there is no metal bits on it, also was the motor making any weird un usual noises

No unusual noises that i heard, ill head out there in a few minutes and drain it see if theres any metal shavings what could that mean though? 

Let's see what the crystal ball says, since there is no possible way to accurately predict exactly what happened based on your description.

It sounds like it got hot and seized based on losing power just before seized.

When was the last time you changed or checked the oil? What brand big bore? The cheap Chinese kits with the cast piston have been know to let go. Who built the motor and how long ago?

Drain the oil and measure how much comes out. Check the coolant to see if it's full. Look at the cam timing to see if it jumped. Check the plastic oil pump gear behind the clutch basket. After that, pull it apart.

PS. The DRZ400 forum is one of the largest and most knowledgeable on TT. I recommend posting all further questions about the bike there.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Me and my buddy just tore the engine mostly apart before i had to work. Cams fine had coolant and oil it was like you said a heat seizure. Im not all the way through the bore yet. Im assuming its the piston, hoping it it just a sleeve. Its something before the clutch cause it rolls in gear with clutch pulled in. Just gotta ask the dude who put the bore in what brand. 

Post a picture of the cylinder and piston. I can probably identify if its a known brand or cheap.

I would buy a new cylinder before I'd sleeve it. You are going backwards in technology 30 years.

The last thing to consider is the additional stress the bottom end took during the seizure. If it locked up suddenly it's possible to bend the rod ever so slightly. You could put it back together and down the road the rod snaps, taking out the new cylinder, head and engine cases.

If you're looking for a good excuse to spend some money building a big bore stroker 462 that will pull 450s, this is it.

I asked the previous owner no clue what bore kit is in there but i know it isnt stock. Almost nothing on the bikes stock, first owner did all the work and i highly doubt he put anything cheap in there he forked out the cash for $1k yoshi exhaust rev max CDI i believe its called and other stuff. I dont see him cheaping out on the bore kit. Ill send a photo of the bore once i get back in the garage tommorow

the cash for $1k yoshi exhaust rev max CDI i believe its called and other stuff.

The fact that he used a "rev box" , squid pipes ( the twins are stealing power) and NO FCR only tells me that he understood less about the Z than a lot of people and cheaped out more than you think. 

How many miles does it have?

23 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

The fact that he used a "rev box" , squid pipes ( the twins are stealing power) and NO FCR only tells me that he understood less about the Z than a lot of people and cheaped out more than you think. 

How many miles does it have?

I have been hearing that alot i might change the exhaust down the road but one thing at a time. And it had 12,8XX and when it broke down i had gotten it to 13,7XX. I purchased the FCR mx39 carb last night and i cant access the bike it is in a shop only open on sundays so i have to wait then ill order the broken part which i assume is a piston sleeve. Question though if the piston sleeves mashed would that mangle the piston itself as well? 

Question though if the piston sleeves mashed would that mangle the piston itself as well? 

Likely yes.

If you look online or eBay you can usually find a Cylinder Works 434 kit for around $450. I think normal retail is around $600. Cylinder Works is proven time and again to be reliable.

Another option if the cylinder can be salvaged is http://www.mt-llc.com/

• Like 1

On 9/6/2017 at 1:51 PM, ohiodrz400sm said:

Likely yes.

If you look online or eBay you can usually find a Cylinder Works 434 kit for around $450. I think normal retail is around $600. Cylinder Works is proven time and again to be reliable.

Another option if the cylinder can be salvaged is http://www.mt-llc.com/

Just had time finally to tear it apart, worse than i thought i didnt get any more through the motor lack of time, but i pulled off carb and headers, found alot of metal shavings in the carb and black charcoaled shit all over the bottom of my frame undee the engine. 

Just had time finally to tear it apart, worse than i thought i didnt get any more through the motor lack of time, but i pulled off carb and headers, found alot of metal shavings in the carb and black charcoaled shit all over the bottom of my frame undee the engine. 

She hurt pretty good if you're finding pieces of metal in the carb.

On 9/12/2017 at 4:30 PM, ohiodrz400sm said:

She hurt pretty good if you're finding pieces of metal in the carb.

So Its been awhile but got her all gutted its a totally mashed piston and bent rod. Found a kit for $899 cylinder works 434 BBK hot rod crank +4mm (all new berrings gaskets etc..) to make it a 470cc. But i am running a stock carb. Will this be a issue? And if so should i buy a fcr mx39-41? 

So Its been awhile but got her all gutted its a totally mashed piston and bent rod. Found a kit for $899 cylinder works 434 BBK hot rod crank +4mm (all new berrings gaskets etc..) to make it a 470cc. But i am running a stock carb. Will this be a issue? And if so should i buy a fcr mx39-41? 

462cc.

The carb is going to hold you back. The stock cams could cause you head gasket issues, so I've read. If it was me, I'd add a 41mm and Web Camshafts 540/539 cams. Throw in a MRD exhaust had you have a ripper
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

462cc.

The carb is going to hold you back. The stock cams could cause you head gasket issues, so I've read. If it was me, I'd add a 41mm and Web Camshafts 540/539 cams. Throw in a MRD exhaust had you have a ripper

I might just buy a 434 bbk and a hotrod crank not the +4mm though and a 41mm carb. And buy those other parts in time save a little $ get the rest. 

I might just buy a 434 bbk and a hotrod crank not the +4mm though and a 41mm carb. And buy those other parts in time save a little $ get the rest. 

In that case, wait until you have the money and buy the carb and cams at the same time.

11 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

In that case, wait until you have the money and buy the carb and cams at the same time.

Alright i got some ordering to do haha thx man

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

462cc.

might just sell it as is cut my loss and pick up a new sumo

65108.jpeg

65109.jpeg