&%$#@!ing Seat bolt

Seat bolts usually screw into the subframe. If the threads are stripped there, a new seat isn't going to help anything.

What kind of bike? Pictures of what is going on would help too..

• Like 1

I had a yz250 that would do this. The threaded insert was sort of riveted in. With wear it started to spin. So I'd have to use a 12 or 13mm wrench to hold while bolting and unbolting the seat. 

• Like 1

On my rm250 the entire threaded part came off my subframe entirely and I found a bolt online that clamps to the subframe via bolt and nut then it has a threaded end into the bolt since nothing would stick to the aluminum. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 8:05 AM, OLHILLBILLY said:

Seat bolts usually screw into the subframe. If the threads are stripped there, a new seat isn't going to help anything.

What kind of bike? Pictures of what is going on would help too..

Honda xr's seats don't bolt into the subframe. They have a bolt that is set into the seat pan under the foam. It goes through a bracket on the subframe and is secured using a lock washer and nut, or washer and lock nut on the underside. 

You can either pull the seat cover and foam back and try to replace the bolt in hopes of it staying put, or do like someone before me did on my '85 xr200r and put 2 new bolts in a different spot in the pan and drilled new holes in the bracket. Held up good