Jump to content

Playground

Recommended Posts

This is an old post that I posted in the wrong forum. Bored from recovery from an injury, I'm left to think about riding rather than get to ride. The entire area is grown up at the moment. I may be up to mowing and spraying roundup real soon. However I will not be able to utilize the playground until another 2 months+. Even though I can't, I'm still thinking of things to do. Things to build. I hauled in 2 loads of concrete rubble just this week. I have refrained from pictures because my son kept saying he wanted to make a youtube video for his channel before I posted pics. But he never did. Here is the old post. 

Looking for more ideas. I have several different size logs ranging from 6 to 14, and a 36. I need  some app 20" and 26". I have a 7 foot heavy equipment tire, laid down, dirt ramped one quarter of it's  side. I have a car we drive over, but we have busted the windshield so I need to lay something over it, dirt ramped up because the least bit of moisture and the hood has zero traction. 40 ft rock bed with a little climb on one end, rocks are mostly to big to move by hand. I have a log pile about 10 logs that stack to make 3 foot high. I have a triple log A type stack that is about 20 inches high. 3 logs 7 ft apart in a row. A 4 log square that we can cross singularly or jump over. A 5 ft dirt pile smaller base, a 3'6 dirt pile wide base, what used to be a large 11ft high, large base that has sunk to 9ft. The dirt piles meant for climbing, but have become jumps as well  A 16" road tile, 5 sections of 16ft 10" wide staggered balance beam making 80ft+ balance that has turns. A ramp up one end of the 36" log  that is 11 feet to ride and balance across and jump off.   Two fairly small jumps. 2 more skidder tires, one half buried, both filed with dirt. 35's, truck tires standing [tire log] . Concrete rubble run. I have  tons and tons  at my disposal if I can get ideas on how to use it. I broke my 7ft x 8ft x 6" piece moving it with the skidsteer. I don't know what to do with it? I thought about leaning it one side of a dirt pile? I have 25+ 16 treated 6x6 used that I can build something if I had ideas. I have 40+ pieces of 5 to 8 ft 6x6's with no ideas on how to use them.  I have lots of tires, but tires laying, no attachment have proven to be almost dangerous because they grab the bike. I built a jump over the ATV mud pit but am having reservations about it. Planning to remove it because the straight run up is only about 20feet. I built a berm for a run up but a failed attempt due to a spinout, etc will be bad. 6 attempts so far and 2 crashes. Being in construction, a skidsteer always on site, I can build most any idea I can get, I'm just out of ideas. I would love to have a bigger log pile, but that will have to wait until I have to clear a wooded lot.  I have a thought but it would take more dirt that I don't have at the moment. I would like a 16' wide wall that climbs that you could practice lofting off of parallel to. At whichever height you chose. But that would take alot of wood, to be filed with dirt. Not sure what other option there is. We often blaze our own trail running parallel to the real trail which requires that we get back on at some point, often it being a drop. I would like to practice that. We built this not because we know how to utilize everthing, but because we want to learn. Practice in a controlled environment transfers to our woods riding. All ideas appreciated.

Since that post 5 months ago, I have added a huge dirtpile, 15 ft high, 25x35 base. I wanted a tall dirt pile that would not settle. But I can't get any higher . I built it up, ramp style, packing it in, but can no longer get my skidsteer up the ramp side safely . I have 5 38 inch tires standing together to form a tire log. I have 3 6ft skidder tires buried 1/3 like a tire log. I have a tire mound made up of car tires laying edges on each other with dirt in all the voids which creates a multi shaped rough climb 5ft high that varies in angle according to which direction you approach from.  My next addition if I can figure out how to get drainage is to dig  a deep rut or 2, with turns so I can learn how to better, get out of ruts, learn to follow a rut, balance and steer better in a rut. I tend to not make the turns in ruts about 10 inches deep. I have a backhoe and trencher. This post is simply to stir conversation and see what all ideas I might get . As I said, I am bored extremely. I am one month into 3 of wearing this backbrace from having broke my back. Crossing a log. Mercy, and and I can't wait to get back to playing. I intend to slow it down from now on crossing logs the trials technique rather than enduro style. Hopefully that will keep me from future injury.

LOL, this is a sad depressing post. Talking on the internet on a  beautiful 3 day weekend because I can't do anything else. I hope everyone is to busy having fun to respond??

Edited by 1gr8bldr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mowed and roundup sprayed. Waiting for Jacob to come try it out. I need to learn from trials specific riders. I'm basically a self taught trail rider who realized that a few obstacles scattered along the trail offered no learning, unless you stopped and practiced it over and over. That's why I built this playground out back. We can do it over and over. It would be interesting to get some new ideas from another viewpoint. Different ways to hit an obstacle, etc. Seriously.. anyone NC or SC wanting to come ride, you would be welcome, as long as you sign a release waiver relieving me from any liability in case of an accident.

Edited by 1gr8bldr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am one month into 3 months of wearing this brace. Still taking pain meds when I need them. I can't ride. But going crazy doing nothing. Wife was not to happy, but I figure I can't ride... but what about  practice balancing? So far, does not seem to have been a problem, and I have no meds in my system. If it starts hurting tonight, I'll know I can't. But if not, this is what I will be doing for the next two months. 

20170903_160224.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you start feeling better and can get back to normal soon!!

Was it a riding injury?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Code54 said:

Hope you start feeling better and can get back to normal soon!!

Was it a riding injury?

Thanks, going to be a long recovery. I'm 1 month into 4. Yea, a riding injury. Broke my back, specifically the L1 vertebrae. On a log, of course. Miss timed it at brushy Mountain. Going to be tough to cross logs, for the fun of it again without worrying this could happen again. So far, lost 10 pounds in 4 weeks. Losing muscle due to not being able to exercise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow - sorry to hear that.  Don't know a lot of guys that got injured that severely on a trials bike and truly hate to hear that.   I hope the recovery is quick and Im sure that once you get moving again you will gain the muscle back.  It is great they you are trying to do things just don't push it too hard! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Code54 said:

Wow - sorry to hear that.  Don't know a lot of guys that got injured that severely on a trials bike and truly hate to hear that.   I hope the recovery is quick and Im sure that once you get moving again you will gain the muscle back.  It is great they you are trying to do things just don't push it too hard! 

Actually was not a trials bike. It was a hybird, a KTM freeride. But trials play is my preferred game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That stuff happens.  Put myself in the hospital when I was 18 from a dirt bike crash..  Removed a few bones from the old right foot, told I would walk with a limp and have trouble running...

That was almost 30 years ago.  No limp, won some running awards and still jog several times a week to this day.  Don't ever give up  - sometime personal "drive" can exceed medical set backs!

Good luck building your course and a skid steer is a handy machine for the kind of work! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2017 at 0:56 PM, 1gr8bldr said:

Mowed and roundup sprayed. Waiting for Jacob to come try it out. I need to learn from trials specific riders. I'm basically a self taught trail rider who realized that a few obstacles scattered along the trail offered no learning, unless you stopped and practiced it over and over. That's why I built this playground out back. We can do it over and over. It would be interesting to get some new ideas from another viewpoint. Different ways to hit an obstacle, etc. Seriously.. anyone NC or SC wanting to come ride, you would be welcome, as long as you sign a release waiver relieving me from any liability in case of an accident.

You got any rooms for rent? 

 

In all seriousness, I gotta come check that course out. Maybe crash in your garage or something because it's a long drive haha. I'd love to give input based on my experience trying to build obstacles in a very limited space. 

I'll give you pointers on the obstacles if you give me pointers on the hill climbs, deal? 

 

BTW I'd be the last person to think about litigation but I'd be cool with signing a waiver. I hate that we live in a world where people can't take responsibility for their own screwups. 

Edit:

You definitely need a log matrix section. 14" diameter logs, 6-7 log minimum. First log about bike length, then have the next 2 or 3 less than bike length, like about axle length, just enough that if you don't do it right you'll plow into the next one and go over the bars lol. Then bike length again followed by yet another double, before you exit. 

Edited by jacob429

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jacob429 said:

You got any rooms for rent? 

 

In all seriousness, I gotta come check that course out. Maybe crash in your garage or something because it's a long drive haha. I'd love to give input based on my experience trying to build obstacles in a very limited space. 

I'll give you pointers on the obstacles if you give me pointers on the hill climbs, deal? 

 

BTW I'd be the last person to think about litigation but I'd be cool with signing a waiver. I hate that we live in a world where people can't take responsibility for their own screwups. 

Edit:

You definitely need a log matrix section. 14" diameter logs, 6-7 log minimum. First log about bike length, then have the next 2 or 3 less than bike length, like about axle length, just enough that if you don't do it right you'll plow into the next one and go over the bars lol. Then bike length again followed by yet another double, before you exit. 

You can crash in my bonus room. It's somewhat separated from the rest of the house so we would hardly know your there. All our workout equipment is there. TV too. Good place to camp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jacob429 said:

 

 

BTW I'd be the last person to think about litigation but I'd be cool with signing a waiver. I hate that we live in a world where people can't take responsibility for their own screw ups

My last 3 accidents, dirtbike, taught me something. Immediately at the hospital they start asking leading questions. This last time, actually had a specific person assigned to the task of asking "where" it happened. Asking about insurance. I tell them that this bike ain't titled and does not require it's own policy. Even once home, I get a call, they were trying so hard to get me to say something they could use in order that they could get out of paying. Or go after someone. It's the world we live in now. If someone gets hurt, they find out where, make my homeowners pay... and then my homeowners insurance cancels... and then I can't find coverage anywhere else for a reasonable price. All solved by a waiver and everybody covers themselves with their own insurance. It's sad that if the neighbors kid breaks his arm by crashing a wheelie in my front yard, that I essentially have to pay his medical bills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 1gr8bldr said:

My last 3 accidents, dirtbike, taught me something. Immediately at the hospital they start asking leading questions. This last time, actually had a specific person assigned to the task of asking "where" it happened. Asking about insurance. I tell them that this bike ain't titled and does not require it's own policy. Even once home, I get a call, they were trying so hard to get me to say something they could use in order that they could get out of paying. Or go after someone. It's the world we live in now. If someone gets hurt, they find out where, make my homeowners pay... and then my homeowners insurance cancels... and then I can't find coverage anywhere else for a reasonable price. All solved by a waiver and everybody covers themselves with their own insurance. It's sad that if the neighbors kid breaks his arm by crashing a wheelie in my front yard, that I essentially have to pay his medical bills. 

That is true, I do remember going through that with my knee injury. Where did it happen, was it private property, whose fault was it.. I almost took offense to it, and at some point just said "listen this happened racing dirt bikes it's nobody's fault"

 

Thank you for offering to let me stay in your extra room, that's mighty generous of you! I'll take you up on it for sure, I gotta check out your playground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×