Yz250f gear ratio

I have a yz250f in making a trail bike. The gearing. Is 3.83. I can make it anywhere in,the woods but sometime strugle. Front sprocket is 13 and back is 50. First gear isn't enough and 2nd or third is to much at times. What size rear sprocket should I change to ,to get my gear better for 2nd or 3rf gear as of,now they are to fast. Don't want to go to,low though. Thanks.

Been there, done this.  You can't go smaller than 13 on the front.  49, 50, for MX; 51, 52 on the rear for woods riding, but with 52 you'll get rear chain guide wear unless you swap for lower WR guide.  You can modify it some.  For technical and handlebar width trails, you can do those with the YZ gearbox.  If you're into the hills or rocks, you might want to try GYTR flywheel.  Otherwise, the WR would be bike of choice, but the 2nd to 3rd shift is wider spaced.  I actually like the YZ gearbox except for first gear is not low enough sometimes.  Some guys like a Rekluse auto clutch instead of the GYTR flywheel.

Edited by ronbuell

you could always swap out a wr 1st  gear in your gearbox and leave yz 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th.  I have parts for this if needed

i typically go the other direction and i ride very tight technical woods, i went down one tooth in the rear, so i'm 13/49 and it's nearly perfect now; otherwise i'm constantly having to grab emergency shifts.  i just have to clutch more and ride it a little bit more like you would a 2 stroke in the tight technical stuff.   17 yz250f with slippery conditions map

Edited by DRS
  • Like 1