Motul 710 - what ratio are you mixing?

Is their a recommended ratio motul recommends for the 710? I have looked and can't find anything other than "do what the manual says".

I use the 710 for its low flash point but still get a good amount of spooge out of the breather tube and silencer (much better than the 800 I started with) .. jetting wise the bike runs spot on so I'm hesitant to adjust it ... right now I'm mixing at 32:1 as per the manual but am wondering if it's to rich since it's based off oil technology from 15 years ago

Bike is a 02 YZ250 .. running FMF fatty pipe and turbine core silencer, vforce3 .. I run a clean air filter every ride, br8 plug and have verified the correct float height for the carb

I ride mostly single and double track so I'm generally not on the pipe making her scream

Is anyone else using the motul 710 and if so what are you mixing it at? I use premium pump gas

Correct premix levels are only revealed by measuring the premix fallout in the crankcase cavity. Richer Oil ratio give you a longer life on the crank shaft bearing as well as conrod needle bearing. Too much is clearly better than to little, ring seal is better with more oil. When running hard with 30 to 32:1 you are good. That would be around 125ml per 3.8 liter or 4.26 ounces

I like 32:1 for any bike.  I could care less what the oil is, as long as I have heard of the brand.  If you have spooge, you need to re-jet.  Yamaha has their jetting dialed better than any other manufacturer, and it comes pretty close from the factory.  I would just try maybe one step down on each of the main circuits, starting with the needle clip.  That may be all you need.  

If you get substantial spooge then it ain't jetted right. If you think it runs well (with spooge) then it can run better. The first step is to determine at what throttle position does it run most rich and lean it out there? Any sputter or weak power or consistent exhaust smoke - at a specific throttle position?  Many or most YZ250s run rich at 1/8th throttle. Many turn past 1/8th so quickly they don't notice the rough spot, but still get spooge because of it.  It can be fixed with the leaner #8 slide. Or you could try a smaller pilot jet and if that has negatives then keep trying the smaller pilot with a richer needle setting. Either the clip or a different needle.  Jet it right and you can use pure castor oil or Motual 800T at 32:1 for slow trail riding and it wont spooge or foul plugs

Edited by numroe

I run Motul  710 at 40:1 in my X, my daughters kx85, and so does my brother on his kx250.   I haven't had a drop of spoodge in probably the last 100hrs... Both the KX's are spoodge free as well.    Like mentioned above by Numroe, your issue is one of jetting not ratio.   Should be able to run 32:1 no problem and not drool..  if you go to 40 or 50:1 you will be even richer on all circuits.. How much spoodge are we talking about?

If the bike seems to run good your close, and likely only one circuit need tuning (like 1/2 step on the needle). Maybe bump you power jet down to a 40.     Have you changed silencer packing since you switched from 800?   If your talking about oil from the powervalve tube that is normal and will always drip a little.  

Edited by Nevada Al

I mixed Motul 710 at 50:1 in my YZ250 for years but now I'm at 40:1, just because it's easier to add fuel to the the leftover premix for my other 2 stroke at 80:1. Rings within spec at 50 hrs, same compression after 100 hrs on piston as when installed, cylinder looks perfect, no crank play.

I don't think the YZ can ever be spooge free ridden slowly, at least not at my altitude and temperature.

Is their a recommended ratio motul recommends for the 710? I have looked and can't find anything other than "do what the manual says".

I use the 710 for its low flash point but still get a good amount of spooge out of the breather tube and silencer (much better than the 800 I started with) .. jetting wise the bike runs spot on so I'm hesitant to adjust it ... right now I'm mixing at 32:1 as per the manual but am wondering if it's to rich since it's based off oil technology from 15 years ago

Bike is a 02 YZ250 .. running FMF fatty pipe and turbine core silencer, vforce3 .. I run a clean air filter every ride, br8 plug and have verified the correct float height for the carb

I ride mostly single and double track so I'm generally not on the pipe making her scream

Is anyone else using the motul 710 and if so what are you mixing it at? I use premium pump gas

Update - so I decide to buy a rebuild kit for the carb and replaced all gaskets and the float valve jet .. oddly enough I had to substantially re adjust the float height with the new parts .. new spring felt stiffer which is good ... only thing I left were the pilot and main jets and needle since the needle is a JD needle and jets are new

this seemed to reduce the spooge by about 30% but not cure it .. I made sure to replace the packing and de grease the inside of the pipe so I had a clean gauge of where I was at..

I then decided to recheck the reeds and am pretty sure I found my problem - my dumb ass didn't think to actually pull the reeds off the cage and look at the underside of the inner reeds ... let's just say it serves me right for not completely dismantling them when I bought the bike ... they are chipped to hell

New reeds are in the mail and am whiling to bet this solves most of my problem 🤦🏼‍♂️

Once I get them in I will start the entire process over again

Thank you for everyone's words of wisdom!
  • Like 2

I don't think the YZ can ever be spooge free ridden slowly, at least not at my altitude and temperature.

It'll always spooge with wide head squish and any usable jetting with the yam needle.

It'll always spooge with wide head squish and any usable jetting with the yam needle.

I've heard about the squish mod for better engine performance but never spooge reasons ... how does the squish effect the spooge? I'm running a JD kit and needle also

Mine still spooges with tighter squish, lean slide, lean needle, lean jets, and 710.

It's killing me .. I know it doesn't really hurt anything but i hate it

How do you like the squish mod? And who did you have do it? I'm looking at RB designs

Yes I hate spooge too. I started a thread here, The Great Spooge Experiment, wherein I tried various fuels, oils, ratios, and jetting. Nothing worked.

I measured the squish myself, calculated how much to remove from the head, and took it to a local machine shop. They shaved the head for $40. No change to the combustion chamber; I can live with the smaller chamber at my altitude. I remember my first ride after re-installing the head, it was awesome. Way more bottom end power, very tractor like, just chug along and up hills.

Yes I hate spooge too. I started a thread here, The Great Spooge Experiment, wherein I tried various fuels, oils, ratios, and jetting. Nothing worked.

I measured the squish myself, calculated how much to remove from the head, and took it to a local machine shop. They shaved the head for $40. No change to the combustion chamber; I can live with the smaller chamber at my altitude. I remember my first ride after re-installing the head, it was awesome. Way more bottom end power, very tractor like, just chug along and up hills.

Ha I read that full thread last week! You went way in depth and it was very informative!

You just made me all warm and fuzzy lol I'm looking for more bottom and luggability!

I'm honestly contemplating buying a lectron carb to see if that will help .. not just the spooge tho .. my ridding changes from a few hundred feet to 4-5k plus depending where I ride and weather is all over the place plus from what I've read it creates better power delivery and fuel economy.

20 hours ago, 2strokeYardSale said:

Mine still spooges with tighter squish, lean slide, lean needle, lean jets, and 710.

Interesting.  Which needle, clip and jets, and alt and temp and exhaust, type of fuel and which year/model YZ250 motor?

I cannot make mine spooge even with fairly rich jetting. None. And I don't rev it particularly hard.  But I never have it so rich to splutter at any throttle position.

I theorize that with the stock Yam needle, if you don't ride WOT most of the time, then you have to get spooge because with that needle you cannot get a consistent air/fuel ratio from 1/8 to WOT.  It's always a compromise. Lean at 3/8th and good elsewhere or visa versa. It's even worse with the stock #7 slide since that brings on the 1/8th rich blubber.  A jetting ratio that varies to much with throttle position sucks big time. Not only because of the erratic throttle response, but because the rich part loads up the top end and PV with oil, and the lean part cooks the premix oil into carbon/coke so the motor top end becomes real dirty.

Edited by numroe