1976 Kawasaki KE 175 idles when leaned left

Hi all,

I'm new to the thread and pretty new to dirt bikes in general. Got interested when my dad started restoring Lambretta scooters. 

So I've taken on an old '76 Kawasaki KE 175. When I got it the carb was destroyed, CDI was bad,  but other than additional aesthetic issues everything else seemed to be fine. 

Replaced the CDI and carb, tank and petcock. It starts, but only seems to keep running if I physically lean the bike to the left. I've done all I know as far as float adjustments and jetting. 

I appreciate any patience you can give me and am ready to answer any more specific questions. 

Is there anything that immediately pops into anyone's mind on why it would do that? When I've actually tried to ride, it's almost like riding a horse. Cuts in and out. I'm guessing it's a fuel issue but I'm a novice and at a loss. 

Yeah. That was the first thing I did. When that didn't work I just started experimenting with the float level and haven't seemed to get much further. I've played with it quite a bit now. I've used two different floats, even. Today I just kind of leaned it and kept it alive for A good minute or so, then I leveled the bike and let it idle and it seemed to be idling better after that. But still died after about 20 seconds of sitting upright. 

When you are leaning the bike over to keep it running you are just effectively leaning out the mixture.If the float level is anywhere near correct than the problem is simply the carb is just running too rich.If you have the correct carb and jetting for the KE175 then possibly the adjustments are incorrect or the carb is assembled wrong.

if you are convinced that there is nothing wrong with the carb,check to see if there is any restriction in the intake or exhaust.

You changed the CDI...check the correct firing position with a timing light and check for spark strength(make sure it will jump a 8mm gap)