DRZ 400 S Topping out at 65?

1 hour ago, RC_ichard said:

Think you have something else going on.... i run 14/44 and can top out at about 95mph + on the freeway. That's one tooth less on the rear but don't think that makes a 50% increase in top speed

Yea unfortunately I think you're right. I'm having a hard time deducing what else it might be haha

Too rich or maybe your just not able to get enough cylinder fill at 105 degrees?

Can you max out fine in 4th?

Tiny Tach is nice for troubleshooting.

Can you find a clear stretch of roadway when it cools off?

My bike wouldn't pull over 8,600 with the stock cams. With my 14/47 gears, I am 1,000rpm per 10mph in 5th gear. I have done 76mph, so I should be able to pull a 'ton' at redline.

19 minutes ago, Clogan2 said:

Mine was topping out at 70...found I had too much oil in it. 

I corrected the oil level, and now she runs great! Faster than I want to go, for sure.

Ding Ding Ding!!!!! :D

Another vote for following the instructions written by the engineers that designed the bike. ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bermudacat said:

Too rich or maybe your just not able to get enough cylinder fill at 105 degrees?

Can you max out fine in 4th?

Tiny Tach is nice for troubleshooting.

Can you find a clear stretch of roadway when it cools off?

My bike wouldn't pull over 8,600 with the stock cams. With my 14/47 gears, I am 1,000rpm per 10mph in 5th gear. I have done 76mph, so I should be able to pull a 'ton' at redline.

I'll check it out tomorrow early am when it's cooler. Thanks for the link!

1 hour ago, Clogan2 said:

Mine was topping out at 70...found I had too much oil in it. 

I corrected the oil level, and now she runs great! Faster than I want to go, for sure.

Just checked the oil after riding it a bit to get it warmed up and it was just a bit over full. Think that would be enough to cause a problem?

1 hour ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Is the bike stock? It's either reaching the point it doesn't have the power to pull 5th any higher or your clutch is slipping.

The clutch could slip from incorrect lever free play, using the wrong oil, or the plates are worn out.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

It's practically stock. Bought it from a college kid who just put a FMF slip-on on it. 

Clutch plates sounds likely to me. 

1 hour ago, Connor Barr said:

Clutch plates sounds likely to me. 

Check the cable for a little slack at the lever.

Should be able to get a little slip gunning it up a hill in first, maybe.

Does your oil smell like burnt brake lining?

Edited by Bermudacat

23 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

Check the cable for a little slack at the lever.

Should be able to get a little slip gunning it up a hill in first, maybe.

Does your oil smell like burnt brake lining?

My oil smells fine. I took it out earlier today and realized I couldn't hit the rev limiter in any gear or in neutral. Thoughts?

yeah, something isn't right that you can't rev it out 

i had 14/44 on mine, and went 95 mph on the freeway. also, as someone else said, I too, am about 1k rpms per 10 mph..... crusing @ 50 mph is around 5000 rpm

haha, at 95 mph, I really didn't have much left

First thing I'd check is the condition of the spark plug. Hell, they are so inexpensive and tend to hide their problems so don't bother checking it, just replace it. If that doesn't do the trick, then I's check the output of the stator. At 5,000 rpm you should see over 70VAC on each leg. If it's low you won't get enough power to fully charge the coil at high rpm. I'd also check the coil.

Edited by Gary in NJ