Specific exhaust request for DRZ

Hey guys,
Long time reader, first time writer here, I've got an '01 DRZ-400s that I've had for about a year now which is bone stock other than a clarke oversized fuel tank. Long story short the carb needed rebuilding and I decided that while the mech is in there why not add a JD jet kit and do a 3x3 mod. Originally I balked at the price for a full exhaust but now I'm considering it after hearing from the mechanic that it will basically be a whole new bike. I hopped online and it turns out the world of exhaust is verrry confusing so I was hoping you guys could help:

my riding is primarily street but I want to do more single-track/enduro so I need an exhaust that is 

A. Gonna boost my HP.

B. Gonna sound awesome (loud is sweet but not trying to set off car alarms all the time).

C. Gonna come with a quiet insert and spark arrestor so I can ride forest land (state of OR prohibits greater than 93 decibels and they DO bust people).

D. not gonna break the bank (greater than $500 breaks the bank)

So basically I need a badass exhaust system that is cheap, powerful, loud when I want it to be and quiet when I need it to be.

Aaaaaand Go.

im no exhaust expert .. if i wanted a boost that wouldnt break the bank i'd probably source an E model headpipe and get something like an fmf slip-on with an insert .. your not going to get giant gains without doing the whole 9 yards though, cams, pumper carb, big block ect ..

Edited by cowpie

In my experience/opinion... I've had 2 Yamaha yfz450's (quads) and on both I put a full FMF exhaust and gained a noticeable difference with a new intake as well as a few other upgrades. Was badazz sounding but pretty loud. Now I have a Suzuki RMZ450 dirt bike and put a full Yoshimura header and exhaust and personally I prefer the difference I noticed from stock to Yoshi than I did stock to FMF and I feel like it's a tad quieter too.. so I would suggest the full Yoshi system as they seem to do really well on Suzuki's and sound really nice too!

But at 93 decibels you might have to put a silencer on any decent exhaust system?

• Like 2

yeah 93db is for the dunes specifically but I don't want to get an exhaust that cuts me off from riding there, thats why I was thinking a quiet insert/sparkarrestor combo would be perfect. I'm not opposed to doing a full exhaust at all if it makes a difference. ohiodrz400sm what model white bros do you reccomend?

The Yosh RS-2/RS-3 or the Mrd are the best for power. The RS-2 will be more offroad friendly as it is a bit quieter. I would still say go with the Mrd and get the quiet insert and a spark arrestor.

• Like 2

ok sorry stupid question, you are talking about the yoshi RS-2/3 full exhaust right? slip on is a waste of time?

cool thats what I thought, also does anyone know right off which ones have the silencer/spark arrester together? if I need one I'll need both.

If you purchase an MRD, order the insert and SA together.   MRD are hand made, don't expect Abazon 3 day shipping

I have the yosh rs-2 on my '13s and love it. It comes with a silencer and forest service approved spark arrestor.   Not sure how particular the rangers/police are in your area, but I do not think that the spark arrestor that you can buy with the MRD is forest service approved.  There is a thread here somewhere where the owner of MRD said the ccertification process was too expensive. Not having that sticker could get you a ticket and/or a tow.  

Edited by MichaelL