Is it me or the suspension?

During a race (harescramble) the track gets pretty beat everywhere. Lots of braking bumps and excellaration bumps. 

It's killing me trying to hold onto the bike, it's constantly bucking up/down front/rear making it almost impossible to ride (for me). I tried going slower and faster and faster makes it worse. 

Can this be tuned out or do I need to grow a pair

2011 KTM 250xc  bike is spring for my weight, sag is set, I've got rebound where I like it and have played with compression front and rear.

During a race (harescramble) the track gets pretty beat everywhere. Lots of braking bumps and excellaration bumps. 
It's killing me trying to hold onto the bike, it's constantly bucking up/down front/rear making it almost impossible to ride (for me). I tried going slower and faster and faster makes it worse. 

2011 KTM 250xc  bike is spring for my weight, sag is set, I've got rebound where I like it and have played with compression front and rear.

It's a combination of both but it's mostly you. You need to find a trusted suspension tuner to get the valving set right for your speed and ability. Remember, you could spend 10k on suspension but bumps don't disappear. The second thing to remember is that in a HS, line selection is ABSOLUTELY KEY! You'll learn this as you become a better rider but if you are choosing horrible lines late in a HS then my man, I'm sorry to say that no suspension will help you.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, LukeYZ426F said:

Stand up :thumbsup: ik it's long race but they will take toll on you sitting. Come into corner standing try to stand as soon as you can exiting.  Your legs will get use to it after few . But yes acceleration bumps can but a whooping on you I've raced many rough tracks take couple days to recover lol

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Stand up :thumbsup: ik it's long race but they will take toll on you sitting. Come into corner standing try to stand as soon as you can exiting.  Your legs will get use to it after few . But yes acceleration bumps can but a whooping on you I've raced many rough tracks take couple days to recover lol

This is standing. I stood the WHOLE first moto. I swapped to a tall soft seat so I could sit on a couple up hills and corners. 

Sitting on a regular seat on anything other than a turn hurts, like vision goes blurry it's so rough. 

16 minutes ago, Woodsweapon350 said:

It's a combination of both but it's mostly you. You need to find a trusted suspension tuner to get the valving set right for your speed and ability. Remember, you could spend 10k on suspension but bumps don't disappear. The second thing to remember is that in a HS, line selection is ABSOLUTELY KEY! You'll learn this as you become a better rider but if you are choosing horrible lines late in a HS then my man, I'm sorry to say that no suspension will help you.

As a C class racer I'm sure I am leaving a lot on the table for line selection, but I feel there are times where I'm having issues and it's all one line. Like ride in that line or hit trees lol

Edited by LukeYZ426F

As a C class racer I'm sure I am leaving a lot on the table for line selection, but I feel there are times where I'm having issues and it's all one line. Like ride in that line or hit trees lol

That very well could be but honestly man that's the nature of the beast. Definitely get your suspension revalved and freshened up with new oil. After that work on your form and ability to read terrain and lines. Sometimes you need to ride the very edge, right where it feels like you're going to hit a tree
  • Like 3

Are you riding a 426? If so maybe time for some new fluid.  Dirtbike racing is rough :ride: sounds like you just may need to go faster is all

2 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Are you riding a 426? If so maybe time for some new fluid.  Dirtbike racing is rough :ride: sounds like you just may need to go faster is all

No a 2011 KTM 250xc with new fluid. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LukeYZ426F said:

No a 2011 KTM 250xc with new fluid. 

Well then it's not the bike then lol sry to say but time to grow a pair :ride:

It could absolutely be the bike. Proper sag and clicker settings can make a difference but valving could also be the issue. That bike is not known for great susp to begin with and a poor setup could make it worse. First thing I would suggest is having a talk with riders/racers you know who have a lot of experience and have had success in their racing. Their knowledge can help you with the basics and then you can go from there.

• Like 2

Do you ride before A and B? If so, pretty much what others said - suck it up, trails are mint for a C race. Most of it comes down to seat time and conditioning. Try lap 4 of an A/B race...
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 5:29 PM, LukeYZ426F said:

Try slowing ur rebound front and rear (clockwise). If this is the correct fix, you may also feel you are jumping/popping up off obstacles too often and too much understeer (drifting wide on corners). 

I did a lot of fooling around in rough, hard pack track when I was in Japan.  What seemed to help me most was the high speed compression adjustments.

• Like 1

You also said the bike vibrates a lot, I take it is a 2 stroke, have you freshened up your top end lately? I know the vibrate a lot, but if it's excessive it may be fatiguing at the end of a long moto. Definitely try some different things during your practice days.

On 9/6/2017 at 9:26 PM, mike621 said:

You also said the bike vibrates a lot, I take it is a 2 stroke, have you freshened up your top end lately? I know the vibrate a lot, but if it's excessive it may be fatiguing at the end of a long moto. Definitely try some different things during your practice days.

Bike doesn't vibrate and the engine is very fresh. 

On 9/2/2017 at 8:33 PM, Woodsweapon350 said:

^This. It's an older bike and may be in need of at least fresh oil. 

All riders get beat up by H.S. whoops. But you don't have to be a genius to pick a smoother line. The average rider will usually just run down the middle of the trail, especially at the worst time when fatigue sets in. Any section wider than maybe 8 feet or so will have smother lines on the sides. Just watch out for those saplings hiding in the overhanging bushes!

15 minutes ago, 76xtdrvr said:

^This. It's an older bike and may be in need of at least fresh oil. 

All riders get beat up by H.S. whoops. But you don't have to be a genius to pick a smoother line. The average rider will usually just run down the middle of the trail, especially at the worst time when fatigue sets in. Any section wider than maybe 8 feet or so will have smother lines on the sides. Just watch out for those saplings hiding in the overhanging bushes!

Hey, can't we keep a few secrets among'st us who have been around a while?  ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Hey, can't we keep a few secrets among'st us who have been around a while?  ;)

Agreed. There's no excuse for divulging this type of information. What was I thinking?:facepalm: :banghead:

At least it's in the remote "Suspension" Forum, not "What Bike Should I Buy".;)

Edited by 76xtdrvr