New to DRZ's

I am looking to buy my first DRZ 400 and have been reading as much as I can about the bikes.  I see that new 17's are going for 5K and that they haven't seem to have changed much over the years.    The one major mod that I would like to make is the addition of a kick starter.  Are some years more preferable than others?  

The bike is primarily for off road and trails (occasional street).  I'm coming from a 07 CRF250X.

Thanks,

Are some years more preferable than others?   The bike is primarily for off road and trails (occasional street).  I'm coming from a 07 CRF250X.

Thanks,

The 2003 and on dual sport models received a better fork(cartridge vs dampening rod), among other things, that makes them more desirable than the previous models.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

The 2003 and on dual sport models received a better fork(cartridge vs dampening rod), among other things, that makes them more desirable than the previous models.

i cant believe your knocking my '00 man, you just ruined my whole week lol ... i think any of the drzs will be fine though other than sm models .. if its possible to plate an E where you live that would probably be the best option because of the tuning geared for offroad, but used i would say they tend to be alot more beat up than S's, you can find S's several years old that practically have no miles .. as far as kickstart just buy the kit, im pretty sure you can put it on any of them ...

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.  I'm still a little confused but I'm going to look at an 03 that has some mods and about 3K mikes on it.  There are a lot in the So Cal area.

On 9/3/2017 at 0:27 AM, 5sport said:

Are some years more preferable than others?  

If looking for an S model shoot for 2002 or newer. It was model year 2002 that first had the upgraded suspension. Other than new colors and graphics, there haven't been any updates since then.

If looking at an SM, the only upgrade of note since its introduction is the change to oversized bars straight from the factory. The first year of production (2005) had a 7/8" handle bar setup like the S and E so look for 2006 and newer.

Edited by ptgarcia

Thank you.  I am looking at a 2003 that he already put a kick starter on but wants almost 4K for it with a few mods.  A 2017 is 5K so I wanted to go look at it first.