are these bikes really tough? bent radiator

I crashed two days ago off-road at relatively low speed 35 mph and today I have  noticed radiator on the side of the crash was bent backwards.

Didn't know radiator is so delicately mounted...what if I rode 70 mph... Guys riding Romaniacs must have some steel braces there I guess?

SDs7KEW.jpg

anyway, straighten these mounts out should be easy right?

17 minutes ago, stevethe said:

Radiator guards are a must on about any off road bike. Sometimes I just use my boot and gently push them back.

but standard radiator guards won't help in such crash, heavy duty steel braces or frame are needed here  but they increase weight.

1 hour ago, motf said:

I hope you are kidding...

no way something like that would stop bending radiator mounts in the crash.

Ummmm, yeah they really do.

I just got back from a Colorado trip, and I had at least 3 hard get-offs, and my radiators are NOT bent in any way.

I too, was a little bit skeptical when I first saw these, but everyone raves about them, so I tried them.  They REALLY do work!!!

crash my bike alot with Bulllet proof rad guards and it does offer great protection, besides that does not looks bent compared to what i've seen. It should be easy fix and if you crash at 70 the last thing I would be worried about is the radiators. Yes these bike are tough and take a beating.

Edited by allout48

2 minutes ago, allout48 said:

crash my bike alot with Bulllet proof rad guards and it does offer great protection, besides that does not looks bent compared to what i've seen. 

Because of the way that thing is machined as a solid piece of billet aluminum, it's going to take a heck of a crash to bend it.  It might actually break before it bends...

2 minutes ago, motf said:

even if  this is true, they cost as much as new radiator so what's the point...

Do you want to buy a new radiator every time you crash???

I would possibly have needed 3 from my trip to CO.

Cheap insurance in my books.  At the end if the day, most of the farkle type stuff that we out in our bikes is just for insurance anyways...

Edited by cadman_ks
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rvogtmann said:

One of my winter projects is to finally straighten my radiators and then get some guards. One is bent much worse than the other but no leaks. 14 500 has taken a beating and held up well!

While the BPD gurads rock, one thing to consider is that they may not fit all that well with bent/straitened radiators.  They are a very precise fit with the radiator and the mounts.  

I'm not saying that you can't get them back them to straight, but it might be something to consider.  If you do get BPD guards, at least have a way to return them if you can't make them fit with your bent and straightened radiators.

Good luck!!!

2 hours ago, motf said:

I hope you are kidding...

no way something like that would stop bending radiator mounts in the crash.

A smart man takes the advice of those with experience. But hey, just keep arguing with the people trying to help.

1 hour ago, motf said:

even if  this is true, they cost as much as new radiator so what's the point...

The point is so that you don't puncture or crack your rad out in the bush ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rvogtmann said:

One of my winter projects is to finally straighten my radiators and then get some guards. One is bent much worse than the other but no leaks. 14 500 has taken a beating and held up well!

damn, I wish 500 exc was air cooled....

would be indestructible.