Rear wheel truing - how critical?

Hey all :)

Recently seen a slight lateral play in the rim... checked the hub, bearings and alignment all are fine. Probably the rim spokes needs truing... anyway untill i find time for that, is it safe riding this way? Dealer says its very slight and common and to leave as is untill next tyre change..

Im a pedant though and i think i feel it (psychological maybe) want to hear your opinions

Most important is the spokes all being tight. Tap with the handle of a small wrench/screwdriver, you should hear a sharp C note or similar. A dull thud means the spoke is loose. Start at the valve and tap all the spokes in the wheel. If all are loose (or a bunch are) tighten the loose ones just a quarter of a turn, going all the way around the wheel. Repeat. Once almost all are tight, then you can just focus on the loose ones. Then you can true/have trued the wheel.

• Like 1

If you have "play" in any rim, don't ride the bike, that implies something is loose. If you mean that your rim is out of true a little but all the spokes are tight, you can likely ride it in more time.

Riding an untrue rim won't hurt you, riding a loose wheel with play can end your life.

I ment untrue rim... 

Everything else is perfectly aligned and tight as i just checked all myself including chain alignment and torquing every nut according to the manual.. its just that i dont have the equipment for truing so i must take it to the shop

Am i going to encounter less traction?

Edited by thekeeper199

You haven't stated how out of true it is. A mm or 3 at the rim left-right or up-down is one thing, but if more than that I wouldn't ride it as it's indicative of an error that should be addressed. You can't move it left to right by hand, can you?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, thekeeper199 said:

How to i check spokes tension?

You can spend the money on a spoke torque wrench, or do what William suggested by tapping the spokes.

3 hours ago, thekeeper199 said:

I ment untrue rim... 

Everything else is perfectly aligned and tight as i just checked all myself including chain alignment and torquing every nut according to the manual.. its just that i dont have the equipment for truing so i must take it to the shop

Am i going to encounter less traction?

My old 19" rear rim had some flat spots was slightly un-true and IMO I just rode it BUT.....

Also check to make sure that the rotor is not slightly bent cus it can sometimes make it seem like the rim is not true.

Otherwise once you know there is not an actual issue with the wheel, the key thing is keeping the spokes tight. This was after neglecting mine and I'm surprised I never had an issue.

I've now gone with a new 18" rim and check spoke tightness before every ride when I lube my chain when the bikes on a stand, I grab 2 spokes at a time with my fingers and squeeze. If one of them feels loose, I snug BUT after re lacing the new rim, after about 3 rides and re-tightening all the spokes as needed after each ride, they all are tight.

• Like 1