Alot of water in the oil

Hi, I have a 04 KLR 650. the clutch started to slip pretty bad so I opened her up had a look, yep look pretty burnt so put back together and got new clutch plates and changed them, after was back together and going again 1st test ride I noticed water dripping from the weep hole so I went to mechanic he said was the water pump seal, got a new one and put it in, pulling off the clutch case swell to check behind pump for anything. put it back together started it up, instantly milky oil, and alot of it. pulled it apart again cleaned it all checked it all put back together. now when I fill up radiator it drops level very quick after a couple of top ups u can see the oil level rise till window is full. undo sump plug first out is 100% coolant then oil. I am not starting the engine at all and as quick as u can fill radiator it leaks into oil. was running perfect before the clutch went . I have cleaned it all put back together but didn't out water in it , it started for couple minutes , no drama didn't run rough idled fine . Any ideas why water is getting in so quick? thanks

10 hours ago, Boots Angus said:

Hi, I have a 04 KLR 650. the clutch started to slip pretty bad so I opened her up had a look, yep look pretty burnt so put back together and got new clutch plates and changed them, after was back together and going again 1st test ride I noticed water dripping from the weep hole so I went to mechanic he said was the water pump seal, got a new one and put it in, pulling off the clutch case swell to check behind pump for anything. put it back together started it up, instantly milky oil, and alot of it. pulled it apart again cleaned it all checked it all put back together. now when I fill up radiator it drops level very quick after a couple of top ups u can see the oil level rise till window is full. undo sump plug first out is 100% coolant then oil. I am not starting the engine at all and as quick as u can fill radiator it leaks into oil. was running perfect before the clutch went . I have cleaned it all put back together but didn't out water in it , it started for couple minutes , no drama didn't run rough idled fine . Any ideas why water is getting in so quick? thanks

The coolant under pressure is leaking into the oil. I would think head gasket first but it doesn't fit your story. The story suggests something with the water pump, perhaps the shaft is bad (scored)? Or damaged during installation.

All I got. :excuseme:

I like the process of elimination  way to find things. so what I did was join both hoses together that go to water pump, I'm thinking this should cut out water pump area , I filled up radiator and after filling to top I them noticed water coming out from motor underneath clutch plates somewhere. I did this with the clutch case off the bike. no pressure  because I'm not even starting it.

Dude?  You need both water pump seals and someone else to install the clutch cover.  The mechanical seal behind the impeller.  This will keep the coolant from the weep hole.  The inner seal keeps engine oil from the coolant and keeps coolant from getting in the oil.  When both seals are bad coolant flows directly into the crank case and oil.  

MP

OK ,I didn't put a new oil seal in but  I did put in a new mechanical seal in but this only stops it leaking thru weep hole not into motor , that is the oil seal behind it that that stops water going in correct?  sweet so new oil seal and another mechanical seal will fix it. 

When you instal the mechanical seal find a socket or something that will allow you to press on the outer rim only.

The oil seal faces outward , smooth face to pump,  spring side of seal to the oil.

Slide cover over water pump shaft carefully and keep gasket surfaces parallel.  Rock the cover slightly to get the seals past the ridge on the impeller shaft.

A bad head gasket will usually create extra pressure in cooling system and push coolant out of overflow.  Some coolant can get in the oil but at that point the engine should perform horribly.

• Like 1

Yes I've ordered parts and I'll try that. what I'm still confused about is why when I bypass the water pump and join the two hoses together and fill radiator , when full after about 1 min water comes out from inside the motor just under the clutch plate. I have started it up with no water in radiator, as usual first kick sounds good didn't miss a beat, no smoke  either. when I've drained sump after I see it starts to fill up first all I get is coolant , all coolant no oil then after a liter or so there is a slight mix of the two then just oil comes out. it's a strange problem, I am OK on the tools, I can spin a socket or two , even rewired a stator on a huski once, other than that not much experience on bikes

This is a case of over wrenching.  From a slipping clutch, to messed up water pump seals, to a blown head gasket!  Running the engine with ZERO coolant was a bad idea.  Water pump seals and the head gasket are the only two places for coolant to enter the engine.  It may be possible to leak into the cylinder through the sleeve but unlikely.  At this point you may have warped and or cracked the head, the damage should be obvious with the coolant pouring right through into the sump.  I suggest getting a manual.

MP