Ignition switch or similar for XTrainer?

Has anyone installed an ignition switch or hidden ignition cutoff for the Xtrainer or similar?  I'll use my XT for occasional rides where it'll have to be left parked in public and it would be an easy joyride target for someone.  Yes, I know you can easily lift them into a truck or van...I'd still like to have a key or another way to disable the ignition.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, biggziff said:

...I'd still like to have a key or another way to disable the ignition.

Keyed switches are commonly available. All you need is a single-pole, single-throw (on-off) switch. My favorites are the ones where you can pull the key out in both the on and off positions, so that when you are trail riding you don't need a key sticking in the lock.

Trace the wire back from the kill switch so that you can wire into it on its hidden end. Tap your wire into the circuit there, and run it to one side of the switch, and from the other side of the switch to ground. It will act as if you are holding the kill switch down, and the bike won't run that way.

Like you said, it won't keep a motivated thief from trucking your bike away, and a clever thief will try to cut the switch wire, knowing it's just a ground wire, but the casual joy rider will most likely be discouraged. And it's cheap.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the two most common places to add such a switch are on the number plate by the headlight, or (sometimes better) through an exposed surface of the airbox. It shouldn't be easy to access the switch wiring.

Edited by Old Plonker
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Squatting_Dog said:

Does this work on the Xtrainers? Is it truly a plug and play? looks like splicing & soldering is required if the photo is correct. 

Check with user motoxgiant here in the forums, aka Steve at PlusOnePerformance. I think he would know. I went with a 'hidden kill switch', through Steve, instead of the keyed one but it was also sicass branded. I don't remember cutting any wires.