timing help with a 75 TS 125

hi all,

i had recently had purchased a 1975 ts 125 and its been sitting for a pretty long time, we put gas in the tank after cleaning the tank and carb and put new oil in the oil pump and it started right up and ran fine, we let it sit for not even an hour and now it won't start, it only backsfires with a loud pop sounds like a timing issue to me but unsure how to adjust the timing on this bike does anyone else know how? the spark is nice and blue also if that helps haha 

it has points - contact breakers which will need to be set at TDC and the contacts cleaned up with some emery cloth or similar

im guessing the gap should be .012" to .014" (0.3mm to 0.4mm)

• Like 1

^ This. The points are behind the flywheel and the timing is adjusted by the point gap setting. Long shot, but hope it doesn't have an electronic ignition (Suzuki's "PEI" ) that came out around that time.

But you did say it ran an hour prior. Squirt a couple drops of gas in the spark plug hole, replace the plug, and kick it over just to make sure it's not a fuel issue.

• Like 1

It could be some debris got into the pilot jet and clogged it up.  With an old bike with a metal gas tank the "cleaning out" of the fuel system can take forever.  I recommend that you install an inline fuel filter between the gas tank and the carb.

I just did this to my 74 DT125 about 30 mins ago.  I used a dial gauge in spark plug hole, but I had a service manual that gave me BTDC, 1.8mm in my case.  Do you have a service manual?

Also, did you clean the jets with a needle or something.  I know they get clogged after sitting up.

thanks for all the responses, we just bought new points, every time we adjusted the points it would run amazing, but right when you turned the bike off the timing would seem to just go out of place or just not have any spark at all after hopefully this fixes the problem, everything has been cleaned on the bike that needed to be re-lubed or carb cleaned its actually fairly clean and has no dents or rust on the bike its just been sitting for a very long time